A Daredevil

Shivaay and Ann had become friends over the past couple of weeks. She was starting to enjoy his company. They started their day, with breakfast, a warm cup of tea he'd make for her. He'd go in to his study to work, she'd go for her art classes, and then visit Saahil at the hospital. She picked up a few fresh roses, everyday from the flower market, to put it in his study. She'd noticed that it made him smile having fresh roses around him. Sitting on the couch, in the evening, watching a movie, and talking had become a ritual of theirs.

"Favourite ice cream flavour and why?" He asked digging into a Burrata Salad.

"Chocolate because it's chocolate?"

"Mine too...but because my mom used to make it for me! She was a chef!"

"Ahhh....that's how you learnt cooking?"

"She taught me a little, before she passed..."

"Oh...Sorry..."

"It's alright, It was long time ago! I was maybe twelve at that time..."

"I lost my parents around that time too...Did you ever hate your mom for leaving you behind? Because I did...I guess I still do...I hate them for leaving me behind to raise Saahil alone..." He held her hand, and started drawing comforting circles.

"Mon Chéri....I don't think they would have left us, if they had a choice..." He squeezed her hand.

"It's easy for you to say Mr.Oberoi...You had an easy life..." She let go of his hand, not wanting him to convince her to forgive her parents. 

"You think it was easy growing up blind?" He furrowed his brows, and she bit her lower lip realising how insensitive she may have sounded.

"I...I didn't mean to say that...I am sorry...That was insensitive of me" She twiddled her thumbs, looking down at her feet. 

"Ann...We all have our trials...Yes I was blessed to be born to a family, that had money, power, influence. Another kid in my shoes, wouldn't have been able to achieve what I have, if not for that. But I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss how hard I worked to be who I am today....And I could not because of the money, but because my mom believed in me...She taught me to believe in myself..."

"You are lucky then...To have someone to believe in you...I don't think I ever had that kind of motivation in my life...I've always looked for an easy way out of everything..." She found her self confessing.

"I believe you are not giving enough credit to yourself Ann. Saahil told me at the wedding that you have been supporting the family alone since you are sixteen...I can't imagine how brave you have to be to pursue a subject like art, knowing that it might not be financially good. You graduated from art school, now you are going to throw your first exhibition...Saahil believes in you no doubt...And I believe in you....You are going to achieve so much in life!"

"I...I got to go...I am taking an extra art class today...You know to expand my horizons...get some inspiration!" Ann stood up not wanting to continue the conversation. Only if he knew, what she achieved in her life so far; A fake degree certificate, a fake identity, and a fake marriage.

"Oh...Okay...I have to be somewhere too..."

"Where are you going Mr.Oberoi?" She asked curiously, noticing that he has been missing on Friday nights. And today was a Friday.