Chapter 23

MATT WAS staked out in the shadows of the house across the street from Georgia's apartment. He'd been tailing her for a couple of days. To the bookstore in Andersonville last night. Tonight to Bill's Blues where she'd tracked down some kid in a Hawaiian shirt. On her way back to her car, she'd slowed to check out an alley. Once a cop...

He'd been across the street from her building when she discovered the crap in the hall. At first he didn't know what it was; he had to recon the dumpster to find out. Fish guts? What was that about? He called it in to Lenny, who seemed surprised. After grilling him on the details, Lenny ordered him to stay where he was.

If he moved far enough back and used the binoculars, he could just see into her window. She'd been going from the kitchen to the hall with a bucket, brush, and rags. Forty-five minutes later, the to and fro stopped.

Lenny wanted a report every two hours. More often if there was any action. He pulled out his cell, about to tell Lenny she was in for the night. Then the lights in her apartment snapped off, and a minute later she emerged from the building, hefting a backpack over her shoulder. Her blond hair was down, catching golden sparks from the glow of the streetlight.

Dumping the cell in his pocket, he hurried down the street to his car. He pulled out just in time to get behind the Toyota, making sure to keep a few lengths back. Where was she going? To shack up with someone? She turned west on Dempster. He squinted through the windshield and made the turn. He'd know soon enough.