Chapter 35

THE FAIRVIEW Motel sat just off Clark Street on a seedy, forgotten block near the city line. The view from its windows was mostly fast food places and shabby warehouses. Whoever named the place must have had a sense of humor. The "E" in the motel sign sputtered and the "W" was missing altogether.

Lauren had never been here before; she made sure the girls went to upscale hotels on the North Shore. In fact, she'd only been to one other rescue job, and the girl had been waiting in the bar of the Hyatt. Thankfully, nothing showed, and the girl had been able to blend in.

Lauren got out of the car. The asphalt in the parking lot was cracked and littered with cans, bottles, and food wrappers. The smell of grease from the burger place next door stuck in her throat. She was alone. And she was about to rescue someone she didn't know. A trickle of fear slid down her back. She took a breath and fastened the buttons on her Urban Outfitters blazer. Room 254 was around the back. She walked up to it and knocked. Twice, then three times. That was the signal.

The girl who opened the door was tiny, with black, shiny hair that hung to her waist. Ordinarily, she would have appeared cute, elfin, but now her hair was tangled and matted, and her clothes, a tight black tank top showing plenty of midriff and a black miniskirt, were torn. She cradled her left arm in her right.

But it was her face that made Lauren gasp. Bruises under one eye made a swollen mockery of her features. An angry red gash streaked across her cheek. Smaller slashes swept across her arms and legs. It looked like someone had taken a razor blade to her skin.

"Jasmine?" Lauren gripped the door.

The girl nodded, swaying unsteadily.

"Who did this to you?" Lauren's voice was hoarse from fear.

The girl shook her head. Shit. Lauren should have checked the file before she came. But there was no time for self-recrimination, because the girl burst into tears and pitched forward. Lauren broke her fall. The girl screamed.

"I think my arm ith broken."

Lauren released her and sat her down on the bed. She gently touched Jasmine's arm. The girl howled. Lauren went to the bathroom and snatched a towel off the rack. Slipping it under Jasmine's arm, she fashioned a clumsy sling and tied it around her neck.

Jasmine looked up, tears streaming down her cheeks. Then she collapsed against Lauren, as if she'd been hoarding her last ounce of strength until she arrived. Lauren put her arm around the girl's good shoulder. It felt unfamiliar and awkward. She wasn't sure how long she sat there, listening to Jasmine weep. Eventually, the cries subsided.

Lauren dropped her arm. "Can you stand? We need to go into the bathroom so I can check you out."

Jasmine stood up and started to walk but stopped abruptly. A fresh round of tears materialized. "Hurths," she cried. "Down there." She tried to point to her crotch.

Lauren half pushed, half propelled her into the bathroom, and made her sit on the toilet seat.

"What happened?"

Jasmine pointed to the bed. When Lauren looked she saw drops of blood on the sheets. Bright red. Her throat tightened. She forced down air.

"He—he hurt me."

"Where?"

Jasmine shook her head. "My legth."

Lauren relaxed fractionally, then realized the girl was lisping. "What's wrong with your mouth?"

The girl opened her mouth and stuck out her tongue. Lauren recoiled. Her tongue had been pierced, but someone—or something—had torn the stud from its hole, and the tip of her tongue was a bloody pulp.