Chapter 42

LENNY WAS built like an eighteen wheeler with an extra-wide load. Matt didn't want to tangle with him. He wasn't talkative, either. He didn't say much about being away, and he didn't look like he wanted to be asked. So it was a surprise when Lenny told him they would be doing a job together.

"What kind of job?"

"You're the marksman, right?"

"Yeah? So?"

Lenny led him over to his SUV and opened the back door. Lying on the seat was a Remington 700 Bolt Action rifle. Lenny eyed him. "You know your way around one of these?"

He nodded.

"Good. "Lenny leaned over, picked up something from the floor, and handed it to him. It was a DNWS26 Day/Night Sniper Scope. "Saves me the trouble of teaching you."

Matt slid his hands in his pocket. "Pretty high end stuff."

"Only the best."

"So what's the target?" He asked casually.

"The P.I. She's a problem. Boss wants the broad out of the way."

"The one I was doing surveillance on?"

"Yeah. And you're gonna do the deal."

"When?"

"Tonight." Lenny tipped his head and gazed at him with a curious expression. "You got a problem with that?"

Matt didn't react. Then he slowly shook his head. "No problem. None at all."

***

They met in the back yard of the house across the street from her apartment at two in the morning. Lenny handed him the Remington. He'd attached a suppressor to the barrel.

"It's still gonna be loud," Matt motioned to the suppressor.

"No problemo." Lenny peered across the street. "Ridge is only a block east. If anyone hears it, they'll think it's a truck." Lenny turned around and pointed to an embankment in the back that rose about ten feet above the rest of the yard. "Set yourself up there."

Matt took the rifle and retreated into the shadows of the evergreens on top of the embankment. A kid's tricycle was in front of him, a red wagon to the side. He thought about using the wagon to brace the rifle but then kicked it out of the way.

Below him Lenny paced back and forth, muttering about the window and where he should aim. He could see for himself. She was on the couch. She hadn't moved. A candle was burning beside her.

Lenny stopped pacing and looked at his watch. "Okay. Do it."

He looked through the scope. He could just see the back of her head. He slid the bolt back, chambered a round, and aimed. Then he squeezed the trigger.

The shot went wide. "Shit!"

"How the fuck did you miss?" Lenny exclaimed. "You're supposed to be a crack shot!"

He shook his head. "I don't know. I had her in the crosshairs. Maybe she moved." But she never moved in her sleep. "Or maybe it was the window. Shooting through glass can deflect the bullet."

"God dammit fuck it all," Lenny said. "What am I gonna tell the boss? He was counting on you."

"I'm sorry, man. Just tell him the truth."

Lenny glared at him. "Yeah. Well, I hope you weren't getting real attached to this job."

Matt stared at the window and saw light flickering from inside. "Oh, my God."

Lenny twisted around. "What the—?"

"The candle!" he whispered. "There was a candle. The bullet must have hit it. I think it started a fire!"

Lenny squinted and peered across the street. The flickering seemed to grow brighter. "Fuckin' A! I think you're right." He twisted around. "You're one lucky sack of shit, you know that? You better hope that does the job."

Matt ran his tongue around his lips. She still wasn't moving. "I guess so."

Lenny looked around. "Hey, let's get out of here. Before the fire department comes."

"Yeah. Shit." He tore his gaze from the window and forced his eyes on Lenny's. "I'm really sorry, Lenny."

Lenny grabbed the Remington and headed around the corner to his SUV. "Meet me back at the house."

He nodded and went to his car. At least they'd driven separately. He keyed the engine and racked the wheel. Before he put the car in gear, he pulled out his cell and dialed a familiar number.