Chapter 26

NORTH SHORE Fitness was a suburban version of the East Bank Club, a successful downtown facility for exercise, business meetings, and the amenities that fuel them both. Located near the Skokie courthouse, the yellow brick complex met those expectations, right down to a row of glassed-in conference rooms with a view of the racquetball courts and pool. Georgia pulled into the parking lot, having tailed Lauren Walcher from Newfield. She couldn't imagine what business would draw the teenager to the Club.

Earlier that morning Georgia had visited five different fish markets in the area: two Burhops, Don's, the Davis Street Fishmarket, and Mitchell's in the Glen. No one remembered any waste products being taken away, although one of the Burhops managers suggested she come back during the afternoon shift. In an ideal world, she would have gone back to question Sara's friends, but both Heather Blakely and Claire Tennenbaum were under strict orders not to talk to her. She'd goosed them as far as she could.

Which left Lauren Walcher. Lauren might have an idea about the fish guts, but getting to her was problematic. Georgia wouldn't be welcome at the Walchers' home, and another confrontation in a parking lot wasn't a good idea. She'd decided to tail her and "accidentally" bump into her in a neutral location where the girl might be willing to answer a few questions. Not perfect, but worth a shot.

Georgia parked two rows from Lauren's Land Rover and kept a discreet distance behind as the girl walked to the entrance. Lauren wasn't carrying a gym bag, but she might keep her workout clothes in a locker. Georgia would have to talk her way into the locker room or wait until Lauren finished exercising.

The interior of the club looked like a hotel lobby with elaborate chandeliers, floor to ceiling mirrors, and splashy art on the walls. On the left a marble floor led to a cocktail lounge with couches and chairs. On the right was a juice bar and restaurant surrounded by screens and potted palms. Overhead signs that looked like the scrolling marquees inside movie theaters directed visitors to the locker rooms, pool, and courts. It was a far cry from the smelly gym and locker rooms of high school. In fact, Georgia detected a light fruity aroma in the air-peach-scented disinfectant, maybe?

Georgia expected Lauren to go to the locker rooms, so she was surprised when the teenager headed into the juice bar. She followed the girl and peered inside. Half the tables were occupied. Two waiters chatted idly to each other. Lauren went to a table in the back corner where two men and a woman were seated. Georgia didn't want to show herself, so before she got a good look at them, she slipped around to the back and positioned herself behind a row of palms. The table Lauren had approached was a few feet away. Palm fronds blocked her view, but she could hear clearly.

"Hi, sweetheart," a man said. His voice was familiar.

"Hi, Daddy."

Tom Walcher.

Georgia heard a chair scrape. He was getting up to embrace her.

"You have the key to Mom's locker?"

"Right here."

Georgia imagined him digging into his pocket. Smiling as he handed it over.

"Thanks, Dad. You're the best." Lauren sounded almost pleasant. Daddy's little girl.

"You'll bring it home when you're done?"

"Duh." A trace of belligerence crept into the girl's voice.

"Honey, let me introduce you to some people. Harry, this is Lauren, my daughter. This is Harry Perl, sweetheart. He's a real estate developer."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Perl." Lauren's voice sounded mechanical.

"You too," a nasally voice replied.

"And this is another successful developer. You could do worse than to follow in her footsteps."