Chapter 37

JUST OFF Willow Road between Northbrook and Glenview is a shopping center with a Steak-n-Shake that stays open until one in the morning. Relentlessly cheery and clean, the décor tries hard for an art deco look, but its black and white striped awning is too modern, its red accents too bold, and the obscure Indian sign lit up in red neon too bewildering. Still, it is one of the only places on the North Shore where young and old, monied or not, can gather for late night snacks. Georgia pulled into the parking lot and slid out of the car. The spill of artificial street lights buzzed with an electric tension, rendering the dark into faux brightness. Lauren sat in the car, not moving.

Georgia leaned back through the open door. "Is there a problem?"

Lauren folded her arms. "This place is a stoner's paradise. Half of Newfield hangs here. We're bound to run into people I know."

"And that's a problem because..."

She looked down. "People know who you are," she mumbled.

"Which means you'll be branded a snitch?"

Lauren didn't say anything.

"Why don't you just tell them I'm your dorky cousin from Oklahoma?"

Lauren almost cracked a smile. "Georgia's more like it." But she opened the door of the Toyota and slid out.

Inside, a middle-aged waitress in a white-collared t-shirt, black slacks, and a hat that looked like something a short order cook would wear led them to a small table. She slapped two menus down. "Something to drink?"

Lauren nodded as she sat. "Coffee."

"Two coffees, please." Georgia sat down, too.

"Coming right up."

When the waitress brought their coffee, Lauren grasped hers in both hands. Georgia scanned the menu. "Order something if you want. I'm going to."

Lauren swiveled around and gazed at the back wall where three huge colored photographs hung. One photo was of a banana split, another a milk shake, the third a hot fudge sundae.

"Can I have a banana split?" Lauren asked.

"Why not?"

"With hot fudge on top?"

Georgia waved the waitress over. "A banana split with hot fudge sauce. And a burger—rare. With fries."

The waitress scribbled on her pad and went away. Lauren looked around and promptly slumped in her seat.

"Incoming?" Georgia asked.

Lauren nodded. "I know those kids."

Georgia twisted around. Four kids, three of them boys in sweat shirts and jeans, and one girl conspicuously chewing gum, shot curious glances their way. They looked away when Georgia glared at them. She swiveled back to Lauren. "Problem solved."

Lauren arched her eyebrows but did sit straighter.

Georgia pulled her coffee cup closer. "Okay. The way I see it, you've got a choice. You cooperate with me and I'll protect you as best I can. But you have to tell me everything. And you have to shut down your—business."

"You know about that?" When Georgia nodded, she asked, "How?"

"I am a PI."

Georgia could see possibilities being pondered, choices being made. Finally, "What about the police?" Lauren asked in a low voice.

"What about them?"

"Are you going to turn me in?"

"If you cooperate, no."