Chapter 3; The Festival

Shinobu's POV

I sat on the floor, thinking about the four new patients at the butterfly mansion. Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado, Inosuke Hashibira, and Zenitsu Agatsuma. They were a handful, but I trusted Kanao and Aoi fully to help with the rehabilitation training.

Meanwhile, after the mount natagumo mission Tomioka-san and I had, I was still filled with hope. Tomioka-san perhaps did love me. I would do anything for him.

I hated the lowly demons who had dared to touch him.

But Tomioka-san could easily kill them. They wouldn't even dare to hurt him. They couldn't even hurt them. He was just too good for all of them.

This is one of the reasons why I loved him.

"Master, Tomioka-san requests to see you." Sumi said in the doorway. I nodded gratefully at her.

"Tell him I will be out in a little bit." I said. Tomioka-san! I felt flustered as I tied my hairpin neatly in my hair and walked out.

I went to the entrance, and Tomioka-san was there, wearing his uniform.

"Kocho, mission." Giyu said and my heart fluttered. Tomioka-san looked so good today-no, Shinobu, don't get carried away.

"Okay, grabbing my katana." I said, snatching it by the doorway. I took my small bag for belongings I used in case of longer missions. I paused for a moment. "What about Tanjiro and the others rehabilitation training?" I asked.

"Don't worry nee-san. I can take care of them." Kanao said in the doorway. She looked timidly at me.

"Thank you Kanao." I said. I was grateful I was able to be with Tomioka-san, despite the circumstances being in the demon slayer corps.

"We're heading to a couples festival." Tomioka-san said stiffly and my jaw dropped. W-what?

"Master said that Kanroji and Iguro can't go because they're on a different mission, and the demon is possibly a Kizuki, which means Tengen going with his wives may not be able to complete the mission easily. Shinazugawa is as lonely as ever, Tokito is too young. Rengoku is visiting family. Himejima says he refuses to go to such nonsense of a place. We're the only ones left." He cleared his throat and looked away. My throat closed up.

I was going with Tomioka-San to a couples festival, on a mission, but nonetheless, with him. My heart was beating hard. I was with him, and able to make sure no one would take him.

"We don't have a lot of time, Kocho. C'mon." I followed him, walking out of the butterfly estate.

***

I wandered the road, slow and steady. It seemed as if nothing was going on. Tomioka-San seemed not to be in much of a rush either.

"To-mi-oka-San." I said, poking him. My heart pounded every time I was near him. He looked over irritably.

"Yes?"

"Are you sure you're going the right path?" I said. He sighed.

"Yes."

"Such monotone answers! No wonder no one likes you Tomioka-San." I personally adored and loved him. That didn't count as just 'likes him', right?

"I-I'm not-"

"I'm not disliked? I'd like to see you prove it." Teasing him was so much fun. He stared at the endless road, deep in thought.

"I...I'm liked. I'm liked by...Tanjiro."

"Oh dear! Try again! Tanjiro likes everyone." I said.

"You." He said. I froze, choking on air.

"Kocho?" Tomioka-San...genuinely concerned for me? My heart thudded harder than before. I smiled at him.