Chapter 6; Wisteria and Poison

Shinobu Kocho

The next week was completely misery. I felt awful, with constant pounding headaches. Tanjiro, Inosuke, Zenitsu, and Nezuko had left with Tengen-san on a mission to entertainment district. I still hated Tengen-san for trying to take Aoi.

We were able to relocate Misayo to a nearby Wisteria house, with a young couple who had a miscarriage. They welcomed Misayo with open arms, but just to be sure, I watched them take care of Misayo. Once I was comforted with the fact that Misayo was in good hands, I left.

I had told Master Kayaga about my plans. He disagreed fully but couldn't convince me otherwise so he decided that I wouldn't train quite as hard as the others and rest. Also, on days of treatment, he would have me rest and have his daughters come and make sure I hadn't died.

After mixing another concoction, I gulped it down. My head hurt so badly as I stumbled and collapsed onto the sofa.

"Kocho." Tomioka-san was here! I forgot to cancel with him about training because I was so busy creating the concoction.

"Sorry Tomioka-san. I'm not feeling well today! I'm not going to be able to train!" I called out, wincing at my attempt for a pecker voice sounding like an old man. I heard the door nob turn, and I shoved all my things in my closet. Tomioka-san came in, looking confused. Then we stared at each other, awkwardly silent

"Kocho, you look positively awful." Tomioka-san said, breaking the silence. "Get back in bed. I'll get a medic for you."

"It's not that bad-" I broke off, coughing.

"Stop acting tough and go to bed! I'm telling master that you're going to get a week off." He said firmly. I climbed into bad and he closed the curtain, quickly walking off. I still felt my heart pounding twenty miles an hour. My face was hotter than usual, but since I was sick, it was so pale it didn't really show.

I fell asleep, easing into my haunting nightmares.

***

A week passed. I told the master I was ready for another mission, and he agreed.

"As someone who is sick, being bedridden is the worst feeling." The master said. "I wish I could see again, but we both will continue to persevere. I need you and Tomioka-san to go to a simple place. A village. East of us. I normally don't like sending hashira, but the people there might need a stronger shoulder to stand on. Their village was nearly destroyed. It's also the place where they help us with the crows." The master said. "Giyu should be at the back, training with Rengoku. I hope the best in your journey." I nodded, walking off.

"Tomioka-san! Tomioka-san! Tooooooomioka-san! To-mi-ok-a-san! TOMIOKA-SAN!" I yelled.

"I'm here." Tomioka-san said, standing behind me. My heart remembered the familiar fast beat, even if I was wisteria poisoned, it wouldn't stop.

Tomioka-san was always in my reach if I wanted to, yet so far away.

"Oh! Ara ara, Tomioka-san? I thought you were training with Rengoku-san." I said.

"We finished. Rengoku and Tokito are doing sword techniques." Tomioka-san said simply.

"Oh? Well, we have a mission. East, a village, tames crows, kinda destroyed already by a demon." I said.

"Got it." He said simply.

***

The journey was much easier, since I was the one who was actually leading. We arrived to see a town of rubble.

"Help!" A young woman was trapped under the rubble. I pulled her out. She was a simple, pretty girl, with delicate hands and a friendly smile. Immediately I felt jealousy, but I pushed it down.