Chapter 13; One Last Time

Shinobu Kocho

I knew I was a liar.

And a failure.

Why couldn't I ever have grown stronger? Even Kanae wasn't incredibly strong, and she manage to decapitate demons.

So why could I?

I wished that she was the one who went home that day. Instead of me. I was useless. She could decapitate demons.

I felt an aura of fear around somewhere.

A demon.

He had blonde hair, and looked like someone had dumped a bucket of blood on him.

He turned around. Rainbow eyes...like Kanae said.

This was the fucking piece of shit that killed my sister.

She was the one who deserved to be alive.

"Hm...another meal! I will have to thank Nakime for bringing such a pretty girl here." He said. "My name's Douma. What's yours?"

Staying every minute felt like hell. Veins popped out from my forehead.

"You killed my sister! Do you remember this Haori?!?!?!?" I screamed, grabbing my patterned haori for Douma to see.

"Ah...her. It was very tragic I didn't get to eat her before the sun came up." Douma said. He scratched his head. "I could eat you. You look very appetizing."

Oh sure he can. And die in hell.

He was holding a girl. I did hear sobbing. Lunging at the girl in an attempt to save her, I managed to grab her.

"You're fast. This will be a battle worth while." Douma mused. The girl in my arms split into pieces.

"You monster." I growled.

"Oh, that girl was miserable. She had nothing to live for." Douma said unaffectedly. My body turned into rage mode. I lunged towards his eye, unsheathing my katana and stabbing right into him. After He coughed, I begged for the poison to work and so I could forget about it. Not to my surprise though, he recovered just fine as I sheathed my katana.

"Wow! No wonder your a hashira! You're fast. If you had tried to cut off my head, you would've succeeded." Douma said.

My anger was so overpowering I saw red.

"I'm here to make sure you die in hell." I said. I unsheathed my katana. I stabbed him four times in his neck at the same time, but he  healed just fine.

I stabbed him in the guts, but he recovered fine too.

I then went for the heart, but he just healed it.

I stabbed his eye, and he healed almost instantly, also whacking my on the side. My movements were slowing now, and my rib was broken. I gasped, suddenly out of breath.

"Wow, five times already! You're out of breath. Well, I'm done with you." Douma said. I glared at him.

Suddenly, he cut me right through the chest. I coughed, blood dripping onto the floor. I collapsed.

"Oh, so sad. You tried so hard." Douma said, fake sympathy oozing from him. 

"Get up." I looked up and saw Kanae. "I didn't raise my sister to be a quitter." She said.

I can't. My lung is filling with blood, and My ribs are broken.  I thought.

"Get up. We're Kochos. We will strive to protect humanity. Even at the biggest costs." Kanae said.

So this was what it was like. Finding memories to save you from the brink of death. Well, I was here. I stood up, wobbling slowly.

"You're still alive." Douma remarked. I turned around. With all my energy left, I ran towards him, all my willpower in my katana. I plunged the katana into the stomach. His eyes turned white.

"Please work." I thought.

Just this one last time, I need this to happen.

He recovered. My anger flared.

"Oh! How sad you had to suffer! Well, you won't anymore!" Douma said, fake sobbing.

"GO TO HELL." I whispered with the last of my strength.

"Master!" Kanao was here. I signaled her.

Careful. His fans might have something that can damage your lungs. Stay to the plan. I love you and the girls. I'm so proud of you.

This might be the reason why I was so out of breath.

I felt my bones being crushed, and all the pain left me.

"NO!!!!!!!" I felt a swoosh of Kanao's katana, and then blackness.

Giyu Tomioka

I ran, my entire body refusing to stop. Where was Kocho? I didn't care, I needed to get to her. I felt Tanjiro by my side.

"Come on, we can't slow down." I said. Running for hours wasn't too big of a deal.

The crow came.

"KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW! KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW! KOCHO SHINOBU, DEAD! SHE DIED AFTER A CONFRONTATION WITH UPPER TWO!"

Tanjiro's face was in shock, and then collapsed into tears. I could speak.

Flashbacks.

"Giyu? What if we don't make it out of this then?" Shinobu asked.

"Then I'll be glad to have spent my time with you." I answered, pulling her close. We watched the moon together. It was a blue moon, a rare sight.

"Really though. What would happen." She asked.

"I would kill myself." I said simply. She turned to me in shock.

"You can't do that!"

"Why not? I would make sure I provide a good life for Tanjiro and Nezuko. They will need that. They do matter to me, but...if you died, it would be the last reason for me to live anymore." I said. Shinobu shook her head angrily.

"You shouldn't do that!"

Really?" I asked, looking at her straight in the eye. "And what would you do?"

"I would keeep your memory alive. I would help Tanjiro and Nezuko too, but I would guide them as long as I could. I would make sure no one forgot who you were." She said firmly.

But she knew she wouldn't live on enough for that to happen.

You know, you think your going to feel better when you distance yourself from her so you won't get hurt when she dies, it it's the opposite. You're just going to regret not spending every moment of your time with her. You're going to wish you got to know her before she dies, and want to be able to understand her better.

Who knew Shinazugawa could be this right.

I love you.

The last words that Kocho spoke to me.

I wouldn't ever let them go.

My anger exploded. I would protect Tanjiro. Despite the fact we barely got to talk to each other due to the circumstances, I felt like he was like a brother to me.

I wouldn't let him die, like Kocho. I failed to protect her.

Suddenly, the ceiling above from us exploded and a demon came crashing down.

Upper three.

"AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAZA!" Tanjiro screamed. Anger was coursing through the air.

"Ah, Kamado. Nice to see you yet again." Akaza said, smiling. "Let's start our celebration, shall we?"