Chapter 12; Choices and Decisions

Giyu Tomioka

It was a chilly. I wondered about Kocho. About her family. If we would ever see each other again.

My guard was up. The demons were still alive. It was another day of us failing to protect people.

Bloodred roses. Dying. The roses she gave me.

I wished I could've realized how painful love could be before I decided to go out with Kocho.

Kanao came up to me. I tensed up. Was this about Kocho? I didn't want to hear it anymore. This was Kocho's Tsugoku, right?

"Please Tomioka-San! Hear me out!" Kanao begged as I was about to stand up and leave.

"I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I need help. Shinobu's going to kill herself." Kanao said. I stopped walking away. What?!

"She's been poisoning herself, so when she's eaten by the demon that killed our sister, the demon will absorb the poison." Kanao explained, tears in her eyes. "She told me to keep it a secret, but I need you to help me convince her that it's a bad idea."

I wanted to try and convince her too. I didn't want her to die. But I pushed back my opinions and said, "This is Kocho's decision. I have no say in this." And walked away.

"Please! I know how you look at Shinobu! Even though you abandoned her, you still love-"

"Shut your mouth Tsuyuri." I said, walking away. My heart throbbed at the thought.

This is why I needed to distance myself from Kocho. It's because when she dies, it won't hurt me as much.

***

"Hey asshole!" Shinazugawa yelled. He seemed to be holding back the urge to punch me.

"Yes?" I asked, ready to block any attack. To my surprise, he plopped down on the seat next to me.

"I wanna talk about Kocho." He said. I started getting up and leaving.

"You know, you think your going to feel better when you distance yourself from her so you won't get hurt when she dies,  it it's the opposite. You're just going to regret not spending every moment of your time with her. You're going to wish you got to know her before she dies, and want to be able to understand her better." Shinazugawa said, drifting into his unknown world.

"Someone sent you here, didn't they?" I said darkly. Shinazugawa would avoid me, never come up to me and talk to me.

"Tsuyuri told Kamado, Kamado told me. He told me that he would give me a box of ohagi that blue eyed, pigtails girl made. Do you know how heavenly they are? Duh." He said. "Why else would I wanna be here, scumbag?"

"I dunno." I said, standing up.

"That's what I felt with Kanae." He said awkwardly. I stood up.

"Thanks for the advice. I doubt I need it." I said stiffly.

"You still have a few fucking months with the girl of your dreams, and your going to let that waste? Do you know how much I regret not ever being able to spend time with Kanae?" Shinazugawa screamed. I ignored him.

Still...was he right?

I had barely slept these days, training under summer days.

Now I felt cold and dark.

Shinobu Kocho

I gazed at the blackening sky. It was another night that demons existed.

Because we had fail to exterminate them all.

"KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW! THE MASTER'S HOUSE HAS BEEN ATTACKED!" The crow cawed. I tensed up. This was the moment we've all been waiting for. Fear crept into my mind as I leapt out of the balcony of the butterfly mansion, giving Kanao orders. Then I ran towards the master's house.

I met up with Kanroji. We had always been friends. After all, we were the only female hashira. I had always wished we could have more time together. I saw Iguro behind her.

Shinazugawa followed behind both of them. I wondered what would happen if there was another universe where he was my brother in law.

We all stood right in front of the master's house.

Right out of range before it exploded.

I realized what happened.

He died...? What about his family???

"H...he sacrificed himself." Kanroji said softly.

I remembered the master. He couldn't fight, but he did everything he could.

In some ways, he did way more than we could ever do.

I felt Giyu's presence behind me. I swallowed my pride and turned around, standing in front of him. I wanted to remend what happened, but we didn't have enough time.

"I love you."

I needed to tell him before I died.

Suddenly, Muzan Kibutsuji appeared. His eyes gleamed, a bleeding red. My anger bubbled. I knew if Muzan was in hell centuries ago, none of us would ever have to suffer...

But then...

We wouldn't have saved Kanao.

Agatsuma would still be in debt.

And we wouldn't have ever met each other.

The worst things could bring the best things sometimes.

Stone Breathing

Wind Breathing

Water Breathing

Serpent Breathing

Mist Breathing

Love Breathing

Insect Breathing

I'm glad to die for the Demon Slayers.

Try and change my mind.

Giyu Tomioka

Chains seemed to be holding me down. I was stunned.

Kocho...

Muzan Kibutsuji was right in front of us, I can't afford to be distracted by Kocho.

I readied myself to help my comrades, save anyone I could.

Kocho...

She can't die.

I panicked, running towards her, but the floor under us shifted and we tumbled into the chasm underneath.