Chapter Five

"Riley, time to get up." I woke up to someone shaking me. "You have school today." I opened my eyes and looked to see who was standing above me. It was momma C.

"I must have forgotten to set my alarm." She gave me a smile and walked out. I rolled out of bed and searched through my clothes. I found a pair of dark wash skinny jeans with a blue button front shirt. I tucked my shirt in and put on a brown belt completing my outfit with a pair of light brown boat shoes. I curled my hair and put on light makeup. After getting ready, I headed down stairs.

"Good morning," Emmy sang as I walked into the kitchen. I sat down across from her at the table after grabbing a glass of orange juice.

"Morning," I said, still trying to get the sleep away. Momma C set a plate of pancakes in front of me. I poured some syrup on them and devoured them. It wasn't often that I got a nice breakfast.

"Hurry up, girls. You don't want to be late," momma C said with a smile. Emmy and I finished our breakfast and headed out.

"My car?" I asked as we made it to the driveway. Emmy nodded and we got into my car, heading to school.

~~~~

"Okay class, get into your pairs again," Ms. Miller said. Bryson dragged his chair over to my desk. I was not in the mood to deal with school today. Bryson looked at my paper and noticed it was blank.

"Did we finally go over something that ms smarty pants doesn't understand?" Bryson asked with a smile. All I wanted to do was bang my head against the desk.

"I'm not in the mood, Bryson." He gave me a confused look, but said nothing more.

"Riley Allister, could you please report to the deans office," someone said over the intercom. People instantly started talking. Probably wondering what I did to get in trouble. I ignored them and packed up my bag. I looked at Bryson who seemed just as confused as me and the rest of the class. I shrugged my shoulders at him and walked out. The halls were bare as I made my way to the admissions office. People were looking at me weird when I walked into the office.

"The dean is waiting for you in his office," the secretary told me. I headed towards his door, which was closed. I knocked a couple times, waiting for an answer.

"Come in," he yelled. I pushed the door opened to reveal two police officers standing before the dean.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked, nervously. He motioned for me to have a seat.

"Riley, I'm officer Allan. We just have a few questions." I looked at him, confusion written all over my face, I'm sure. "Is Angela Allister your guardian?" It hit me then. She was trying to get back at me for walking out.

"Yes, why?"

"She called in a missing persons report this morning." I shrugged my shoulders.

"I thought the person had to be missing for more than forty eight hours?" I questioned. I had taken a few criminal justice classes online when I had become interested in crime, thanks to law and order.

"Usually yes, but she said there was an argument, and she was afraid you were going to hurt yourself." I was no longer scared; I was pissed.

"Are you kidding me? She doesn't care what I do or where I am." I sat back in the chair, trying not to cry.

"You guys aren't very close?" The officer asked. I shook my head no.

"The only reason she is my guardian is because my dad made it that way before he died. We don't like each other. Hell, we don't even get along." The officer nodded and jotted some notes down. "Honestly, I don't feel safe there, that's why I'm staying at my friends. She's just doing this to try and show that she cares about me, but she doesn't." The officer wrote more down before sighing.

"Unfortunately, you have to go back home. We will look into it, but only if you want us to." I shook my head, kindly declining his offer. "Well, heres my card just in case." He handed me a business card with his name, rank, and number on it.

"Thanks," I said. "Am I free to go?" The officers nodded and I looked at the dean for comfirmation. He nodded his head as well, and I left.

~~~~

The cafeteria was packed as kids filed in for lunch. I was getting looks from everyone, and I tried to brush them off. I rested my head in my hands, hoping that this day didn't get any worse.

"What's up, buttercup?" Emmy asked as she sat down. I shrugged my shoulders, not really wanting to talk about what happened. "You know I'm here when you're ready to talk." I nodded. She knew me too well.

"Well, well, the trouble maker herself," Bryson said walking over. I could see the look of worry cross Emmys face.

"Not the time, Bryson," I said, not bothering to look up. I heard a tray hit the table, and I looked up to see Bryson sitting down. I looked at him, confused as to what was happening. "What? I'm not allowed to change my seat here and there?" I let out a small laugh, and a smile formed on Bryson's face. Emmy looked between the two of us.

Bryson was able to keep us entertained during lunch period, making me hate him less every time he talked. I started gathering my stuff, knowing the bell was going to ring soon.

"What do we have here?" Tamara asked, standing behind Bryson.

"Well, it's lunch, so we're eating?" Bryson said. Emmy and I busted out laughing, Tamara shooting us a death glare.

"Why are you sitting with these losers?" She asked, rubbing his back. He shrugged her off.

"Watch it. That's my sister you're talking about. Last time I checked, I didn't have to tell you what I was doing." Tamara rolled her eyes. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm walking these ladies to class." Bryson stood up and motioned for us to follow him. What the hell was going on with him?
----------------------------------------------

What do you think so far? Starting to hate Tamara? And what about Riley's stepmom? How do you feel about her calling the cops?

Sorry this was short, and that I stopped in an awkward a spot. I just wanted to get an update out for you guys!

The picture attached is the outfit Riley wore to school!

Teaser: Riley goes back home... Tamara drama! And maybe more Riley and Bryson action because we haven't seen much of them together!