Chapter Thirteen

"Let's go, buttercup," Emmy said with a smile. When I stepped out and noticed what was around me, I gasped. This bitch had tricked me.

"Emmy, what the hell?" She just smiled as I took in the beauty surrounding me. From the parking lot I could see the top half of the Ferris wheel. The colorful lights that beamed off of it, and the music that surrounded us. We were at the carnival.

"You like?" She asked, holding a big grin on her lips. She made me dress up for the carnival?

"And I had to wear a dress for this why?" She walked over to me, pulling out her phone.

"Selfie!" She said, snapping a picture. "So we can meet cute guys, duh," she said with a wink. Meet cute guys? I'm not about that life. I looked at her, mouth open like I was ready to say something mean, but I quickly shut it, realizing that this could be exactly what I need.

"Well, let's go meet some guys then!" I said. Emmy cheered and wrapped her arm through mine. She dragged me towards the entrance, pulling out money.

"Two tickets please," Emmy said to the young looking guy behind the counter.

"Eight dollars please," he said with a smile. I could tell Emmy was trying to flirt with him, but I wasn't going to stop her. "Here you are. Have a great time, ladies." Emmy flashed him a smile, and I had to drag her away or we would never get inside.

"Where to first?" I asked her. She started listing off things to do, and I agreed to do whatever she wanted. I was just along for the ride.

~~~~

After an hour of trailing behind Emmy, my feet were killing me. Knowing we were coming to the carnival, I would have worn proper shoes. I was tempted to take my shoes off, but soon ruled that out.

"Over here," Emmy said. She was standing in front of the fun house with a grin on her face.

"You would make me do this, in a dress might I add." She chuckled and pulled me inside. We spent the majority of our time looking at ourselves in all the different mirrors.

"Imagine if I was really this short and plump," she said. I chuckled at her reflection. I could never imagine Emmy being like an Oompa Loompa. She took a picture and flagged me over.

"We spent too much time at those damn mirrors," I said as Emmy pulled me through the door. My breath caught in my throat at the completely dark room. Not what I was expecting. Emmy still had a hold on my arm, which I was very thankful for. "It's too dark in here," I said to Emmy, but she didn't reply, and that was when I realized she wasn't holding my arm anymore. "Emmy?" I cried out, not knowing where to go. A small spotlight came on, pointed at a wall. The wall had a note on it that read "this way". Should I follow it, or should I just turn back? Ah fuck, what could possibly happen? I followed the notes direction and headed into another dark room.

"Riley," I heard Emmys voice from a distance.

"For fucks sake, Emmy, this isn't funny!" She laughed, but I still couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Another spotlight came on and the note read "turn around". I was hesitant to do so, not knowing if Emmy paid someone to dress as a killer clown and scare me. Clowns were my biggest fear. I slowly turned around, but it was too dark. "I don't know what I'm-" and then a spotlight came on. "What the-," but I couldn't finish. In front of me was Bryson Carter, dressed in khaki shorts and a blue and green checked button down. His hair flowed perfectly, and his eyes sparkled from the light hitting them. "Bryson?" I questioned. Someone pinch me. Am I dreaming?

"I'm sorry," he said, he let his head fall a bit and his arms were behind his back. "I'm sorry for everything." All I could do was stare at him. He was perfect. Stop that, he hurt you. "Say something," he said, now looking at me. I walked closer to him, speechless.

"I should hurt you," was all I could manage to say. A small smile appeared on his face and a chuckle escaped his lips.

"I know," was all he said. He pulled his hands out from behind his back, presenting a bouquet of roses. My favorite. "For you." I took them, taking in their beauty.

"Why? Why are you doing all this?" He stepped closer, and I had all I could do not to step back.

"I care about you, Riley. I know it may not seem like it, and I know I fucked up royaly, but I care." I fought the smile that was threatening to show. I looked down at my feet, not knowing what to do. Did I care about him to?

"Bryson, this is so sweet of you, but-"

"But it's not enough," he said, cutting me off. I let out a sigh. Was that what I wanted him to think? In my heart, he had won me over, but in my head, I wasn't convinced.

"How do I know this isn't all part of your plan? Or rather, to fix your plan?" He looked down as I looked at him. He looked defeated, and it hurt me to see him like that.

"I guess I'll just have to prove it to you, won't I?"

"If that's what you want, but I can't promise that it'll work." I felt like a bitch saying it, but it was true. He had a lot of making up to do before I forgave him. "Look, Bryson, this has been really nice, but I have to go." He shoved his hands in his pocket and looked at me.

"I understand," he said. He started to walk past me, but stopped and kissed me on the cheek. "I'm sorry," he whispered in my ear before disappearing into the dark.

~~~~

"Really?" Emmy squealed as we walked back to her car. "I told him I didn't know if it would work, but it was worth a shot. I hate seeing my two favorite people upset." She wrapped her arm around me. My whole body felt heavy after what happened. Was I making the right choice? "Riley? Are you listening to me?"

"What? Oh, no, sorry." She frowned at me.

"You're thinking about him, aren't you?" I shrugged my shoulders. How could I not think about him? He was perfect. Stop that right now! He hurt you. My mind and my body were totally against each other, and it drained all my energy.

"Can you just take me home?" I mumbled. She nodded and headed to my house. All the lights were off when we pulled in. "Thanks, Emmy, for trying. It's just going to take time," I said, closing the door. All I wanted to do was sleep, but I couldn't stop thinking about Bryson and what he did tonight.
----------------------------------------------

What do you guys think of Bryson's surprise? Do you think Riley reacted too harshly?

Let me know what you guys think of the book so far! I'm always open to feedback, advice, and suggestions!

Teaser: tonight, but in Bryson's POV!