e i g h t

❝You cannot easily drop a person out of your mind. Especially when that person left a special mark on your heart.❞

-unknown

______________________

The aroma of worn books floated up my nose as I wandered into the local library. I smiled in anticipation of the discovery of a good book. My fingers thrummed on my bag as I gave the librarian a quick smile and hurried of to find something.

I knew that I was looking for a specific book before I came in, but now I couldn't remember what it was. All I could think to look for was the Steve Jobs autobiography.

I sighed as I paused in the middle of a random area, knowing good and well that I wasn't actually paying attention to any of the books. Max and I had been exploring the town together on a regular basis for about a week now. Yet, something was really bothering me.

The numbers written on his hands were getting smaller and smaller.

I bit my lip. It had to be a countdown of sorts, but what could he be counting down for? I sinking feeling gnawed away at my stomach, but I pushed it away, refusing to consider anything yet.

I would just have to ask him before the countdown ended. He was now on nine, and I something told me I would sincerely dread when he got to one.

I guess it just means I have to get to know him better a little faster that normal, which felt good because for once I was kind of sick of being normal. With Max I never felt plain even though I knew I looked it.

I made up my mind. Picking a random book off of the shelf, I stomped to the register to check out my book. With a quick thank you, I walked out and ran to my car, just sitting once inside.

"Okay, tomorrow, I'm gonna do it," I told myself. "I'm gonna ask him about the numbers."

I drove home, the entire way never really focusing on the road. I seriously needed a distraction.

***

"What happened to you cheek?" He asked me the next morning. It was still snowing out, and the temperatures chilled me to the bone. The coffee shop's perfect cozy temperature was just another reason to love it here.

I brought my hand up to the area he seemed to be pointing to. Embarrassment flooded by system when I remembered what had happened, and punched myself mentally for not covering the bruise this morning.

"Oh, um," I thought for a moment for a reason that was ten times less lame that the actual one.

What am I supposed to say? It was from a wall handstand that I was doing in my room to distract myself from thinking about you. But, it didn't really work, and I crashed into my dresser.

Oh he would love that.

"I fell," I said after a moment. He didn't believe me, and I didn't really expect him to either, but there were more pressing matters to worry about.