s i x

❝At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.❞

-Albert Schweitzer

______________________

Sweeping my hair back behind my ear, I let out a giggle as Max gave me another look.

"You did a really crummy job at that, which is something I definitely didn't think was possible," he told me with a smile.

We had made our apple cider, or at least, I assisted Max in making his. I was hopelessly unstable when it came to anything that was done with kitchen appliances.

He took a sip of it after we had finished, and told me it was pretty good. I didn't really want any of mine since my stomach was still brim high with this mornings coffee.

I just watched him in subtle adoration, and we exited the store, giving the man who held the door for us a wave.

We were just about to cross the street, when we came upon a frail homeless man squatting in the doorway of an abandoned building.

He was holding a sign that tugged at my heart strings, one that briefly explained his predicament and that money or food would be appreciated.

Others were shuffling past him, so glancing but continuing on. A posse of girls walked by and pretend not to see him.

I bit my lip when we locked gazes, and I proceeded to glance down at my warm cup of untouched apple cider.

I looked to Max, who watched me in confusion as I stopped walking in the middle of a crowded area.

I took slow steps that increased speed within each passing breath, my heart beating in my chest as I approached the man who watched me.

When I stood in front on him, I crouched slightly, making sure that I didn't seem as if I was someone who thought she was better than him.

I gave him a grin as I held out my cider. He glanced at it, and then back at me, and my heart melted as I caught the excitement in his watchful gaze.

It simultaneously brought tears to the rim of my eyes and broke my heart to see someone who had so little.

"Merry Christmas," I said gently.

I didn't have to say anything else. I hoped that the emotion in my eyes was enough to convey the love I had for a man I didn't know.

As I made my way back to Max after the man gave me a smile in return and a quiet thank you, I wiped a small tear that managed to roll down my cheek.

He gave me a look that filled my being with a since of pride. He took my hand in his, and we began walking again.

I waved to the man one last time, before I was sucked into a crowd of people that didn't realize that there was someone only a few feet away from them with bigger worries than getting Christmas presents to other people on time.

He was cold, sitting without shelter, and he was hungry.

And I didn't think that was acceptable, especially during Christmas time.

I couldn't even explain the emotion I felt as we put more and more distance in between us. The smile I had still hadn't left my face.

Personally, I knew that deep down, I did enjoy receiving presents, but I knew that I would much rather give to others things that may not mean much to me, but could mean the world to them.

It was about the fellowship, and a good natured attitude that should make people feel welcome and happy around you.

"You're amazing," Max whispered close to my ear as we walked towards a corner near where I had parked.