t e n

❝Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever.❞

-Keri Russell
__________________

Four.

Four days left.

I swear the world was against us. It was making time do it's bidding, making us feel like we didn't have any time left.

In saddening reality, we really didn't.

I tried to smile through the pain as he grabbed my hand, pulling me to the window. Warmth blossomed up my arm and radiated through my body at his touch. He bought tickets for whichever movie he'd decided for us to see, and I just went along with it.

We bought warm funnel fries, popcorn, and coke, the typical movie snack, and made our way to the theater for the film. I was shameless in admitting that I watched Max's expressions more than the actual movie, which he may or may not have found creepy. I didn't really care though, and he never said anything which led me to believe it was alright.

Besides, the movie would still be here in four days.

Arm in arm, we walked out of the dim theater and back to our cars. "So," Max drawled, catching my eyes. "How'd you like the movie?" He asked in a seemingly innocent tone. The devious curve of his lips told me otherwise.

I tried not to blush, as I responded. "It was good," Replying vaguely, I fiddled with my fingers, honestly having no idea what I just watched.

"Oh yeah?" He asked, tugging me closer and sending my heart info a frenzy. For a cold day it sure was getting hot. "What was your favorite scene?"

I was silent.

He laughed softly, and patted my hand. "Okay, at least tell me who your favorite character was."

I was silent.

He let out a full laugh at that point, beaming at me. My heart skipped a beat. It seemed to be doing that a lot lately. Finally reaching our cars in the winter wonderland, we came to stand in the space between our cars.

We were both silent for a moment, taking in the soundless snowflakes as they seemed to fall in infinite numbers. My gaze trailed down from the sky to meet the awaiting gaze of Max's.

I wasn't ready to go home to my boring life just yet.

"Wanna go to the bookstore?" I asked, breaking the comfortable silence. "The new one just opened about two blocks away from the coffee shop."

He nodded with a small smile, digging his keys out of his pocket. "See you there?"

"See you," I said, getting into my own car and driving to the store. Why was I so nervous to go into a bookstore?

Sure, it had everything to do with Max, but I had been with him for a while now. I would've thought I would be over these nerves by now. Throw in the fact that we just saw a movie together, and I should be good to go.

What if we didn't find anything that piqued his interest? I bit my lip in contemplation. Were there enough Steve Jobs books to keep him satisfied?

All of these questions were flowing through my brain as such a fast and confusing rate, I was already in the bookstore next to Max when I'd managed to pull myself back to reality.

"C'mere," he urged, grabbing my wrist and tugging me through the isles.

I tried to contain my laughter but I couldn't. It felt good to laugh with absolutely no reason behind it.

Enjoying the now, I told myself.

"Here it is," he said quietly, picking up a thick book. He turned it on the back before I could read the title, but I had a sneaking suspicion of what it might be.