t h r e e

❝People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.❞

-Edmund Hillary

______________________

My heart was beating painfully fast in my covered chest at the sight of him.

He was leaning against the border on the rink, laughing at something his friend said to him. I smiled softly as I noticed that even though we weren't at the coffee shop, he still dressed the same way.

I had changed from earlier but he was still sporting his gray, black, and red, which I personally thought looked really good on him.

"Let's go talk to them."

It was moments like these that I curse Ala's beauty. Due to the fact that boys came swarming by the hundreds, she was no stranger to being the first to approach. Some guys tended to become a little shy when involved with my best friend.

She said that when she was the one that approached the guy first, he saw her as confident and independent, but the girl has to appear somewhat timid, so that he doesn't think that she is too good for anyone.

She would always then proceed to say that I would never understand because of my obvious lack of interest in the male specimen.

But as my gaze was once again frozen on Max's form, I realized that for once, Ala's opinion about me wasn't true.

I had an extreme interest in Max.

"I don't want to."

I just had a crappy way of showing it.

Ala pouted next to me, crossing her arms over her fluffy coat. "Please? I have been deprived of guys for like a, like a-"

"Like an entire week? Oh geez, the horror," I said sarcastically.

"Well if you aren't going with me, I will go by myself. Because I am a strong independent Indian woman who does need a man!" She fist pumped to add on to her dramatics, and sped off on the ice towards him.

I sat quietly as I watched her, biting my lip in debate on wether or not I should join her.

One side of me said that she had done this several times before, and she was skilled enough to maneuver her way into a guy's head and heart without any of my help.

But then the other side of me said that regardless of the situation, girls should always have her best friend's back, even if they are too confident for their own good.

With a sigh, I pushed myself up and started on my way to what was sure to either be a really awkward or really enjoyable.

Hopefully I don't screw up and do something embarrassing.

When my eyes met Max's gaze for a split second, I quickly averted my own, and pulled my winter hat down over my face.

This in turn helped boost my confidence because I was unable to see him, but also brought along consequences considering the fact that I was practically blind, while skating on hardened and slippery water.

My split second of confidence turned to horror as the ice met my butt with a hard this and I cried out in pain.

I grunted and rubbed my bruising butt and ego.

"Are you okay?"

I groaned at the sound of the voice that sounded unrecognizable in the midst of others, but like honey to my ears.

I slowly lifted my cap, mentally preparing myself for the awkwardness I had already created, and met Max's smile which then led to his amused eyes.