f i v e

This chapter is dedicated to my good friend Trisha, who is beautiful on the inside and out. Her stories are gorgeous, and her writing is amazing, so if you want to read really amazing stories, you should read hers.

❝Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.❞

-Marcel Proust

________________________

Deep colored coffee reflected my anxious features as I stared down at my untouched drink.

The wait seemed excruciatingly longer today than the other snowy days, and my hands were damp with nervous anticipation.

I bit my lip as the bell gave a soft jingling, the signs of another form entering the coffee shop. My heart hammered in my chest and my stomach jump into my throat, fluttering sensations taking over my senses until I was lightheaded.

I let out an audible sigh and slouched over when it was someone I didn't recognize.

I flipped my phone over and checked the time, my eyes repeatedly scanning the numbers.

8:13

I had two minutes to prepare myself, although it won't be anywhere near enough time since I had been trying to all morning.

Was I supposed to talk to him first or would he come to me?

I assumed that we were now on speaking terms, the fleeting memory of last nights off behavior lingered for a moment before I succumbed it to the corner of my mind.

The bell rang again, and this time, before the person rounded the corner, I knew who it was.

I took a sip of my coffee to make it seem as if I wasn't aware of his presence, and to make it look as if I was preoccupied with my actions.

After a few moments, I felt the pressure of his gaze, and looked down at my lap.

My mom jeans were very interesting.

The chair across from me squeaked in protest and my gaze shot up. Max sat across from me in his normal attire, a gray beanie resting on his head.

He have me a cheeky grin as he placed his coffee down on the table, inches from my own.

"Hi."

I looked at him in awe, still not processing that he was talking to me. But when I did, I felt like an idiot for gawking.

I cleared my throat. "Hi."

"I feel like yesterday was my fault, and I want to make it up to you." He gazed at me with sincerity as he brought his drink to his lips.

Maybe that explains the way he was acting yesterday after my accident. It was sweet of him to worry, but it was far from being his fault, and I didn't like that he put that on himself.

I studied him. "You think my bloody nose was your fault?" He nodded.

With a grimace at the memory I spoke again. "It was definitely someone's fault, but it wasn't yours Max."

He nodded slowly but looked as if he rethought it and voiced himself. "We are all entitled to our own opinions Loni."

The unexpected sound of my name falling from his lips momentarily distracted me.

He continued. "You have yours and I have mine. Regardless of what you think about the situation, I still feel like I need to make it up to you."

He smiled again and clasped his hands together, placing them on the small table separating us.