Chapter 2

It is morning. Although my body says it is the middle of the night. Isn't four a.m. the middle of the night for everyone? As I am convincing myself to get out of bed I realize the shower water is on in the bathroom. Oh my gosh is she a robot? How is she already up and in the shower at this ungodly hour?

I knew she was excited for our island adventure to start but still. In fact, she insisted we pack the hotel room last night so that we could be at the local grocery store picking up our food the minute they opened at five a.m...

The shower is off now so I had best get my clothes out. I wouldn't want to keep her waiting to leave. Besides neither of us knows how long it will take to get a taxi to the store and then a taxi from the store to the docks. We have to meet the captain at seven a.m. if we want that ride to the island today.

"Hey Luna, it is about time you woke up. I have been up since three-thirty."

"I figured as much since when I woke up at four you were already in the shower. What happened to my 'I don't do mornings' friend I love so much?"

"Oh, I am still here just pumped up to move to your island for a few days. I will totally be sleeping in on the island. Maybe I will just sleep on the beach. That would save me a few steps in the morning. Cause you know I am going to live on that sandy beach of yours," she says with a cricked grin.

I run through the shower and get dressed at as fast of a pace as I can muster at four-fifteen a.m... By four-forty-five, we have checked out of the hotel and we are hailing a cab to take us to the supermarket. We arrive at the store at five a.m. just as the shopkeeper is unlocking the doors. The store is rather small being in a small oceanside community and all, but it should have everything we need for our three days away from civilization.

"So, what should we get?" Rachel asks me.

"I don't know. The cabins seem to have everything we need to cook whatever we want. Each cabin had a fully stocked kitchen with pans, plates, silverware, a refrigerator, and a microwave oven. I guess it depends on how much time we want to spend cooking and how much time we want to spend exploring and sunning on the beach."

"Oh well, that is easy. Very little time cooking and lots of time exploring and sunbathing," Rachel replies with a very perky smile on her face.

Next thing I know she is walking briskly down the aisles of the store throwing all kinds of pre-packaged food in the cart. The kind of food that you either open and eat or open heat and eat. No cooking is required whatsoever. I added a few perishable items like milk, eggs, bacon, and lunchmeat to the cart and then realized we had a three-hour trip to the island. Which meant we needed an ice chest and ice to go with all of our junk food.

By six a.m. we were outside the store hailing a cab with way too much food for three days. I guess what we do not eat we can donate to the local food bank when we return from the island.

We arrived at the dock at six-thirty and we were able to board right away. The captain was already there and ready to sail.

Rachel turns to me as we pull away from the docks and says, "That is all of the work I intend on doing for the next three days," with a grin from ear to ear.

I reply, "We still have to get all of this food and our luggage up to the cabins."

"Oh crap, you're right. That is not going to work well if we dock at the beach like yesterday. The wheels on my suitcase will not roll through the beach and I am not carrying that brick through the sand."

I stood up and told Luna I was going to talk to the captain about where to anchor today. "Excuse me captain do you have a minute?"

"Of course, What can I do for you miss?"