Prologue

I wonder why my mom didn't answer her phone. She knew we were meeting at my place this morning. We plan these mini girl's days full of fun as often as possible. We usually start with lunch, then maybe a movie, followed by whatever comes along. She is never late.

"Rachel, are you almost done in the bathroom? I need to finish up quickly before my mom gets here."

"Almost done."

"Okay, thanks."

My phone starts ringing so I remove it from my pocket hoping it's my mom checking in to tell me traffic was heavier than normal or something silly like that. The caller ID says police department.

"Hello, Miss Night. My name is Officer Young. I regret to inform you that your mother was in an accident that took place downtown."

"What accident?"

"There was a building collapse and she was inside. We are making every effort to recover everyone, but it is feared there are no more survivors."

"Are you telling me my mother is presumed dead?" I can feel the tears on my cheeks as they begin to fall.

"Unfortunately, ma'am it appears she is likely deceased."

I dropped my phone and sat on the floor where I stood. Tears pouring from my eyes at this point. How could that be possible? She couldn't be dead. How will I survive without my mother?

Rachel came into the living room and saw me crumpled on the floor. "Luna, what's wrong?"

Through my tears, I tried to communicate what I was told. "An officer just called me and said there was a building collapse and my mom is trapped inside. They don't think anyone is left alive inside."

"Oh, Luna. I am so sorry. I saw the reports on the news but I had no idea." Rachel knelt next to me with outstretched arms. I cried on her shoulder for what seemed like forever.

"Let's get you up off the floor so we can figure out what is going on."

Rachel walked me over to the couch and I took a seat. "I am going to call my mom, Luna. They work together so maybe she knows something. I'll be right back."

I sat on the couch numb until she returned.

"My mom said she heard about the building collapse, but she was not aware that Helene had been trapped. She told me that she was not in the city right now but would be on the next flight home."

"That's nice of her," I said. I have no idea why I said it. The words just flowed out of my mouth.

The next several weeks were a blur. After taking the following week off from work I returned to the office, but my heart was not in it anymore. Without my mom, I was lost. Rachel was doing her best to help me cope and I guess I was coping but I was not living my life the way I used to.

Then the day came for the reading of my mom's will. I inherited all of her possessions, which is normal I suppose. She was single and I was her only child. Everything was normal until her lawyer read that I was the proud owner of an island that was located in the Atlantic Ocean.

"Wait! Sir, did you just say my mother left me an island?"

"Yes, Miss Night."

"What island?"

"The only information I have is the location and name of the island. I have no other specifics. It is all included in the documents you will leave with today."

"Okay, thank you."

He continued reading her will which had no further surprises.

When I arrived home later that night my best friend Rachel was waiting for me.

"How did it go today, Luna."

"Good, I suppose. I mean normal for a will reading I guess. All except I found out my mother owns an island in the Atlantic Ocean. What the heck am I going to do with that?"

"That sounds really cool, Luna."

"I guess but I don't need an island so I told the lawyer to let me know when everything was settled so I could contact the right people to sell it."

"Awe bummer. I was already planning our vacation in my head."

"Very funny, Rachel."

"No, seriously. I want an island paradise."

"I just want this all to be over. Losing my mom was bad enough. Going through her things and deciding what 'makes-the-cut' so I keep it is hard. Then after I decide what to keep I have to sell or give away her other possessions. It is the worst. I hate this."

"I am so sorry Luna. I can't imagine what you are feeling right now. It was the silly little girl inside of me that just wanted to run away and have some fun."

"I know Rachel. This is just too much sometimes."