09 | corset of whale baleen

9

❥ ❥ ❥

❥ ❥ ❥

THE FALL OF 2006
A Monster

❥ ❥ ❥

It has been one month. One month since dating Minho Lee. Six weeks. Forty-one days.

Not that Jisung's counting.

Marino Hills transitions from blazing heatwaves and typical Californian wildfires to cooler temperatures, golden tree leaves, and crisp, chapped kisses shared in empty school stairwells.

It's October, and the garish, chartreuse tree leaves have detached from their branches, replaced with all shades of red, orange, and emerald green.

Downtown Aurelia's streets are alive with the sound of laughter as people savor the last of the warm weeks before winter. The scent of pumpkin spice wafts in the air, as people sip them in coffee shops and cafes, accompanied by miniature pumpkin pies to solidify the mood of the season.

Jisung loves autumn. Californian summers are too hot, winters are too inconsistent, and spring is too...pollinated.

Autumn's the season of crimson blushes, cherry-tipped noses; soft kisses while playing in the leaves in the morning; and late, chilly, walks while the sun sets, leaving a burst of orange and red tinges splitting the horizon.

Autumn's the season of warmth within innocent embraces, warm morning coffees, and even warmer smiles.

(And warm butterfly-esque feelings about Minho Lee, but that's neither here nor there.)

Jisung's boots crush the leaf pathway underfoot, hands in his pockets as he whistles along to Justin Timberlake's My Love.

(Felix is under the belief that dating Minho has turned Jisung into a sappy romantic.)

He saunters past a couple of shops, most of them already being "in season" since August, advertising Halloween costumes and other on-trend trinkets. Restaurants and bakeries advertise their new pumpkin-themed treat that they'd love for him to try, splayed on orangey-red posters that just scream "fall spirit".

"Do your parents know that you're..." Jisung's voice gets captured by the wind, dying out in its chill howls.

"Gay?" Minho cocks a brow, his fresh, auburn bangs swaying over his eyes. (It's a little bit of brunet, a tinge of red, and it suits him so well.) "You don't have to say it like it's a bad word, Jisungie."

Jisung's fingers are a little clammy, interlaced in Minho's as they take an after-school stroll back to Blossom Delights. Two weeks ago, fourteen days ago, Minho got his cast taken off in favor of a walking boot that awkwardly clanks against the pavement. Funny thing is, Minho can hardly walk, taking unsteady steps as he struggles to keep up with Jisung's pace.