21 | the acts of the inhumane

21

❥ ❥ ❥

❥ ❥ ❥

THE SPRING OF 2007
Spring Cleansing

❥ ❥ ❥

Two weeks later, Sana gets caught making out with her roommate the evening before her scheduled release. Her discharge is immediately revoked.

Headmaster Oh chooses to air out Sana and her roommate's—a baby-faced girl with a name Jisung can't pronounce—discretion before the entire auditorium.

The stage sits below a projector screen the width of the entire space, which is currently lowered to show security camera footage of Sana and her roommate. Save for the pixels of light bouncing off the screen, the stage is hardly lit, leaving the rest of the auditorium cloaked in the dark.

Students are seated in a horseshoe shape, surrounding the stage at nearly every angle (if you exclude the gap in the seats where the entrance is).

There are hundreds of students here, but they're all quiet.

In the front, there's a small section reserved for faculty. Sister Kim is seated on the far left end of the row with a bunch of other nuns who Jisung vaguely recognizes. She does not appear happy. Her thin-framed glasses are hanging low on her sagging nose bridge and her lips are curled in disgust.

Headmaster Oh is dressed in a pressed navy-blue suit, red tie, and sporting a combover—hair greasy and slicked back with an unhealthy amount of gel.

Behind him is an enlarged, wooden cross, hanging from the wall. It appears almost daunting, with the way the wood is cracked and chipped in places, and the way the Jesus effigy hangs from the beams with his eyes wide open when he should be dead.

And, finally, in the very back of the auditorium is Jisung, sandwiched between Hwang Hyunjin and another student he's never seen before.

The projection begins playing.

A security camera is perched up on the wall, overlooking a hallway that is a carbon-copy of the many others Jisung has wandered through. The hall is empty, save for the flickering of light bulbs and the occasional squeak of shoes against linoleum.

The projection skips to Sana and her roommate, pressed against the wall and eating the shit out of each other's faces like they've been starved for days.

There is a collective gasp from the audience. Jisung is somewhat glad that Sana, nor her roommate, are in the auditorium to hear the resounding "slut!"s, "ew!"s, and Korean insults that erupt in the room.

The clip ends with the two girls running down the hallway, hand-in-hand.

Jisung feels sick to his stomach.