Prologue

Prologue

I was loved by my grandparents, cherished and treasured like those antique items in the museum. I learned how to walk, talk, and even laugh in the presence of that old museum. At a young age, I understood how important it was too for my grandparents.

Kaya ipinangako ko sa sarili ko na habang nabubuhay ako ay mapananatili kong buhay ang bagay na pinahahalagahan nila.

With the presence of the old museum, the overwhelming love of my grandparents, and how they shared me stories that seemed too impossible, at my young age I learned to only listen to them.

Umikot ang mundo ko sa pagmamahal sa akin nina lolo at lola, sa museo na araw-araw kong nililinis, sa iilang tao na dumadaan upang tingnan ang lumang mga kagamitan— at higit sa lahat sa kuwentong para ako sa mundong higit akong mamahalin at tatanggapin.

I've been raised with the belief that someone was waiting for me- he would love me the way my grandfather loved my grandmother, and he'd do everything for me— that's when I learned about Nemetio Spiran, Parsua, the princes from the prophecy, and the man waiting for me from the other side.

And then, I met her— that beautiful woman with the most beautiful face I've ever seen. But even with that pretty face has the saddest eyes.

I was on the hospital bed— there was a huge fire inside our old museum that even in my sleep, I could see the shadows of my grandparents who pushed me away from that devilish fire before they wrapped their arms together and wished for my life to be saved.

How I wished there was enough water to save my grandparents and the old museum from the fire. . . . how I wished that among those stories of my grandparents, I was able to summon water to save them.

I felt the tears gliding down my cheek as the familiar beeping sound of that machine continued to ring into my ears, but what made my mind awake was the soft voice of a woman.

"Pagod na pagod na ako. Kailan ninyo ako tutulungan? Hirap na hirap na ako sa mundo ng mga bampira. Hirap na hirap na ako," she whsipered with pained voice. She held my hand. I knew that she was crying.

"Hindi ko na alam kung tama pa ba ang mga ginagawa ko. Kailan ninyo ako sasamahan? Kailangan ako magkakaroon ng katulong? Hinang-hina na ako sa nangyayari."

When I opened my eyes and saw that familiar woman with a pretty face, she immediately pulled her hand away from me.

And that was the last time I saw her— the beautiful woman who was asking for my help.

***

I spent my life growing up, motivated to collect a lot of money, to revived my burned musuem, and to survive. Hindi man nawawala sa isip ko ang mga kuwentong iniwan sa akin nina lolo't lola, mas mahalaga na sa akin ay kung paano magiging maayos ang buhay ko.

I took BS Archeology, spent my nights in a part-time job, and had my side hustle of scavenging every abandoned place to find unique items. I grew up opening every old lock of the doors, cabinets, and even gates. And someone who has a high tuition fee with not enough source of income, I learned how to wager my luck or skills in gambling.

With my usual baseball cap, my bunned hair was hidden beneath it, my black facemask, and my skilled hands in every table game— iisa lang ang laging nakikita ng mga kalaban ko. It's how I embraced all the money to my chest.

Because Kezalli Lanoire Torres, the second goddess of the mirror is a woman motivated by money.

***

I wasn't expecting that I'd see that woman again— the pretty woman who was asking for my help, but when a cute little girl appeared in front of my eyes and declared that she was the daughter of that woman named Claret, my plans in life suddenly faltered.

Hinayaan akong magpatangay sa kagustuhan niya at sa kanyang dalawang sugar daddy na lolo.

Maybe helping them was right, maybe it was really my fate. But when I woke up, thinking about all my efforts and experiences for the past few years—and the buried treasures I hid underground to revive the museum. . .

Hindi ko magawang isipin na iwan ang ilang taon kong pinaghirapan sa kapalarang walang kasiguraduhan.

Before the night came, I went outside of Sullivan's mansion with my huge black bag. Agad akong nagpunta sa branch ng banko ko. I withdraw all my money.

I will run away and live in a place where they will never find me.

I am sorry, Divina. . .

Nakasakay na ako sa tricycle habang yakap ang bag na may lamang pera, ibinaba ko ang itim kong cap nang dumaan na ang tricycle sa malaking bahay ni Sullivan, pero hindi rin ako napakali at pinatigil ko iyon sa driver.

I went to the nearest 7-Eleven and bought different types of chocolate. Buhat ko ang malaking bag at pumasok ako sa kuwarto niya. I put all the chocolates on her side table.

Bumalik ako sa kuwarto ko at kinuha ko ang aking pana at palaso.

Nang nakalabas na ako ng mansyon, hindi na sana ako lilingon pa pabalik nang maalala ko ang salamin. I have to stop them from finding me. Dahil alam posible akong mahipnotismo sa sandaling humarap ako roon, kaya sinugatan ko agad ang sarili ko.

With my blood, I wrote a note for Divina so she does not look for me.

"Should I break it? Maybe they will think that the mirror suddenly had a crack when I entered it."

Pumasok ako sa tool house ni Sullivan at kumuha ako ng martilyo. Sakbat ko ang aking maraming pera, palaso at pana habang may hawak na martilyo.

But right when I was about to hit the hammer on the mirror, the sudden outburst of water in front of me gave me a surprise, I couldn't breathe and all I thought right at that moment was my death.

I thought the force would push me away from it, but the water swallowed my whole body, another formed water with sticky hideous legs curled around my waist, arms, and even my legs, finally capturing me towards the mirror.

I tried to grab my hands on the frame of the mirror, but as I struggled against it, the remaining air from my body left me, leaving me helpless.

I felt the speed and intensity around my whole body as I was getting pulled, and when finally felt the air in my lungs again, I saw the mirror standing at the edge of a marbled floor— and a steaming water.

My body was thrown away in the air, with my floating bow and arrow, the blasting light above me, the white steam, my ruined black bag and my raining nine million worth of money.

Marahan kong inangat ang aking isang kamay. "Ang pera ko. . ."

Pero higit na akong napasigaw nang biglang bumulusok ang katawan ko. I am damn falling!

Mariin akong pumikit kasabay nang pagsigaw ko. I silently prayed for water. . . sana ay bumagsak ako sa tubig.

But when I was expecting the sudden pain from the intensity of my body that would hit the hard floor or the water, all I felt was the warmness as if I was being lulled in a soft dreamland.

As I slowly opened my eyes with the white steam that almost blinded me, the music of the calm moving water, the warmth, and the arms of the man who had my body— little by little, the steam grew thinner revealing the man in his wet long hair, how his bare chest heaved heavily, how the droplets of water glided down his cheeks, and how his eyes as green as corals of the sea gazed at me.

I gasped.

It should be roses, but the money I earned because of him fell down slowly like rain. . .

Nanatiling nakayakap ang isa niyang braso sa akin habang ang isang kamay niya'y marahan niyang iginalaw.

I blinked when he gently scooped water with his bare hand, and he let the water flow from my head down to my face. "This is how we use the water, bathing together, welcome to Parsua Deltora, my love."