Chapter 6: Lessons

{Fun Fact: Charlotte's name was originally going to be Hailey Potter,  but the more I thought about it the less I liked it because Harry and  Hailey were too close to the same; and I'm pretty sure Lily & James  wouldn't have done that}

 The first day of the  semester started the next day and Charlotte had promised Harry that she  would sit with him at breakfast. Charlotte dressed in her robes and she  and Ginny made their way to the Great Hall. She saw Bryce already seated  at the Ravenclaw table with his blue tie on; and when he looked up he  smiled and waved at her. As promised Charlotte found Harry and sat by  him, he seemed to be less upset and he made a small smile at her. They  made light conversation which was still very awkward. How could we be siblings? She  constantly asked herself when they stopped talking to eat. She knew  they looked alike even she couldn't deny their many resemblances, but  there was something about him that was different, something that she  couldn't quite pick out.

She looked up ever so often and glanced  at the Ravenclaw table, seeing what her friend was doing. They talked  for a little longer but when Bryce got up to leave, Charlotte did the  same. "Well, I hope you have a good first day." Harry said awkwardly.

"You  too." She replied. Ginny told her that she would find her and give  Charlotte her schedule when she could. Charlotte raced out of the Great  Hall and bumped into a couple Slytherin boys who made crude remarks to  her. "Bryce!" She yelled.

The boy turned around and smiled.  "Charlotte! I'm so glad to see you. I was just heading to class, do you  want to come with me?" He asked.

"Classes don't start in less than thirty minutes and I don't even have my schedule." She explained.

"Professor  Flitwick handed the Ravenclaw schedules out a few minutes ago; and it  says that we have Potions with Gryffindor, that's you. So come on, let's  go." He said walking a few steps away from the entrance of the Great  Hall. Charlotte nodded and walked closer to Bryce.

Just before  they went any further there was a great explosion from the Great Hall.  They turned wide eyed toward each other as a shrieking voice filled  their ears. "STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SUPRISED IF  THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET AHOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE  YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER-" Bryce pulled on Charlotte's robe and they hurried away before the voice could say anymore.

They  reached the dungeons with about a minute to spare. They had gotten lost  several times and the moving staircases weren't much help. The dungeons  were cold and the robes weren't thick enough to keep them warm. "There  you are." Ginny said, holding a piece of parchment out to Charlotte. She  took it and examined it, it was her schedule. She thanked Ginny but  before she said anymore the door swung open and the teacher with greasy  hair stood inside.

"Come." He said coldly, and all of the students  outside quietly filed inside the classroom and sat in desks. Charlotte  sat by Bryce and Ginny was in the desk beside her with a boy in their  house. "I am Professor Snape, I do not put up with nonsense and you will  not return to my class if you do so. You will learn in here how to  create potions and how to properly use them." He talked for a very long  time, explaining that the class was going to take effort. Professor  Snape made them take notes about ingredients a sleeping potion needs in  order to be made correctly. "Today we will start with the Cure for  Boils. Begin." Professor Snape said and with a flick of his wand the  instructions of the potion was written on the board.

Bryce and Charlotte got their caldrons and began to read the board. Horned Slugs? She  had never heard of such a thing. The two began their potion ad  Charlotte paid very close attention to make sure her mixture had been on  the wait for 10 seconds exact. She watched the Professor as he walked  around the class looking at everyone's potions, criticizing almost every  potions he walked by. Charlotte knew that she was behind the rest of  the class, people had started to talk very quietly as their potions were  brewing before Charlotte even got a chance to wave her wand.

"Silent!"  Professor Snape hissed. "Mr. McCubbin, did you heat your potion at the  exact temperature of 250?" The Ravenclaw boy shook his head no. "You may  restart." And with that, Professor Snape waved his wand and the boys  potion vanished. Everyone in the class silently went back to work.

When  everyone finished their work Professor Snape walked across the room and  observed every potion. Charlotte noticed that every potion's smoke was a  different color. Charlotte's was a pretty light pink color, while  Bryce's was a dark shade of pink. Everyone else's varied, she saw a  purple one, a blue, a red, and a lot of pink shades."Ah, Mr. Ghoston. I  see you added a sixth stir to your potion. Tut tut." The professor said  as he made his way to their table. Charlotte's stomach dropped as  Professor Snape looked at hers but to everyone's surprise he glanced at  her and muttered a small and cold "Good work." and moved to the next  table.

"How was your's better than mine?" Bryce said as the lunch bell rang. Charlotte shrugged, she just followed the instructions.

                                    ∞∞∞∞∞

Charlotte's  first couple days at Hogwarts weren't the best. Students of all houses  were now referring to her as 'The Other Potter' every time she walked  through the castle. People were coming up to her talking to her like  they had known each other for years; she didn't like that. The classes  weren't easy either. During flying lessons a Hufflepuff girl bumped  Charlotte and she fell off her broom. The girl apologized but Charlotte  already didn't like her. Transfiguration was very difficult for  Charlotte, Bryce could change a needle to a toothpick in less than five  minutes, but no matter how Charlotte flicked her wand or said the words,  she could only transfigure the needle into a thumb tack.

Charlotte  now knew why Remus didn't like Gildeory Lockhart. He was a very  conceited man, and had made their homework reading the first five  chapters on one of his books. Ginny was starting to read the book while  Charlotte started on her potions essay. She had no idea how to write a  paper about the uses of the six lice breeds and had to eventually ask  Abigail Nicola when she went up to the first year girls' dormitories.

Charlotte  had just finished practicing her charms spell when Ginny came into the  room dressed in her pajamas and robe. "The book is wonderful," She said,  placing Gilderoy's book on her side table. "I'm already on chapter  eighteen! He is so brave." The other girls chimed in telling about the  other books he had wrote. Charlotte had yet to read any of his books,  thankfully she had until next Monday to read what she was suppose to.

All  the girls sat on two beds, talking about how their first week of  Hogwarts had been. One girl, Haley Dakota, even said that a cute fourth  year boy spoke to her and helped her find a class. Charlotte looked over  to Ginny and saw her writing in a black book. "What are you doing?" She  asked. Ginny's cheeks blushed and her eyes wide.

"Oh, it's  nothing. I-I'm writing a letter to my mum. You know, telling her how  everything's been." Ginny squeaked as she shut the book and put it under  Gadding with Ghouls. Charlotte was going to say more but decided against it. She got read for bed and said goodnight to the girls.

Vote, Comment, & add to your library!!