Chapter 5: Sorting Hat

"Thank you Hagrid. Follow me." She instructed. She led Charlotte and  the other students inside the castle. Charlotte was amazed by its  beauty, it was lit by torches and its walls were stone. She and Bryce  pointed things out to another as they reached the end to a flight of  stairs. "Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I am  Professor McGonagall. In just a moment you will all be sorted into one  of four houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. Your  house will be like your family, you will eat, sleep, and learn with the  people in your house. You all stay here, I will come for you when we are  ready." Professor McGonagall said and went away.

"I'm  nervous." Bryce finally said after a couple of minutes. Charlotte looked  over towards him, his face was white and he looked very clammy.

"I am too."

By  that time Professor McGonagall had returned, "Follow me." she said.  They walked in a single line with Bryce in front of Charlotte. She led  them through more of the castle and flicked her wand to open the doors  to the Great Hall. Charlotte had never seen anything more beautiful,  there were four long tables stretched from one end to the other and a  long table in the front with what seemed to be the staff table. Bryce  looked back to Charlotte and with a nervous expression. Professor  McGonagall led the first years to the front of the Hall and walked up  the steps to put a wooden stool in front of the staff table and placed a  hat on top of it. Charlotte turned around and saw hundreds of students  looking at all of the first years, it made her get nervous.

Bryce pulled Charlotte's robe and pointed to the hat. It flinched!  She thought maybe she was seeing it but then she saw the folds of the  old hat resembled the form of lips. A voice that seemed to come from the  hat startled them all as it started to fill the hall.

I may be old and frayed

But I'm not for display

For I am the Sorting Hat

And I am here for you

Deeper Through Hogwarts you go

The more you will know

For the Sorting Hat knows best

I know where your loyalties will rest

Come! Come, try me on

Wear me, wear me! But not all at once

The four houses I can choose:

The snake, cunning and clever

The eagle, majestic and wise

The lion, courageous and brave

The badger, fair and kind

Come now, for I know where your future lies.

The  hall broke into applause, the hat spoke! She couldn't believe it. "The  Sorting Ceremony will now start." Professor McGonagall said. "When I  call your name, you will put the hat on to be sorted." Charlotte's hands  started to sweat. "Alas, Nick"

A chubby, blonde headed boy walked  from the group and sat on the stool. Professor McGonagall  put the Sorting Hat on his head and after a few seconds the hat yelled,  "GRYFINNDOR!" A massive amount of shouts came from one table and the boy  jump off the stool to join his house.

"Bainbridge, Tabitha" The  hat was sat on top of the girls head. "SLYTHERIN!" It yelled, another  table cheered as the girl joined the table.

"Berrow, Darius"