Chapter 20: Defense Against the Dark Arts

Charlotte rushed down the moving staircases and into the Great Hall. She had overslept and she couldn't blame anyone other than herself. Ginny had tried to wake her at least seven times and the other second year Gryffindor girls had their fair share of attempting too. When she made it to the girls sitting at the Gryffindor table, they all looked at her with an annoyed look.

"Sorry," Charlotte giggled sympathetically as she tightened her red and gold tie to her neck.

"I am never trying to wake you up again," Jennifer Dawn, a fellow Gryffindor second year, joked. "you better start eating before we have to head to class."

Charlotte mounded french toast and bacon onto a plate as Jennifer handed their schedule to her. Charlotte's eyes lit up when she saw the first class of the day, "Defense Against the Dark Arts, that's Remus' class! You all will love him!"

"I still can't believe your uncle got a job here, it's unheard of!" Ginny said as she glanced at her friend.

"Me either, I'm just glad I'll be able to see him most days." Charlotte answered as she gulped the last of her water and got up from the table to make her way to their first class.

Charlotte, Ginny, and Jennifer walked together to Remus' classroom. Charlotte would not stop talking about all the exciting books Remus had read over the summer to prepare for the class and when they walked in, they were greeted by Professor Remus Lupin sitting at the head of the class.

"Welcome," He smiled as he saw Charlotte enter. She smiled at him before the three girls made their way to find a seat. Students began to file in one after another until the room was full of Gryffindors and Slytherins.

Remus stood up from his seat and warmly smiled at the class, "Good morning, I am Professor Lupin and I will be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for this year. If you will pull out your books and turn to chapter three, we will begin our lesson."

The room was suddenly filled with the sound of rustling papers and whispers. Jennifer leaned over to Charlotte, "I thought you said he was fun?"

"He is!" Charlotte whispered sharply, "but he has to start somewhere,"

"Charlotte," Remus called out and Charlotte's face flushed as she turned to him, "I would appreciate if you would not disrupt my class."

"Right, sorry." She quickly turned back around in her seat and looked down at her book, very embarrassed. Remus continued to read from the book and Charlotte couldn't help but think maybe Remus being her teacher wasn't a good thing.

Throughout the whole class, Charlotte's head would bob up and down with sleep as Remus would read from the book and explain how to properly clean a fire crab's cage without getting burnt. She leaned her head against her fist as she pretended to take notes from the lesson. However she knew she was caught, when Remus walked down the isle and stopped at her desk and saw her blank parchment and her closing eyes.

"Charlotte," He snapped. Everyone in the class looked over to see what was going on. She looked up at him with wide eyes, "I want you to stay behind after class. Class dissmissed!"

As everyone else packed up and gave her curious stares, she began to get nervous. Remus was never this sharp to her. Once the classroom was empty, Charlotte made her way to his desk at the front. "I'm sorry Remus I didn't mean to, I just-"

"You can't call me that here." Remus spoke at once. "I am your teacher and you need to call me Professor Lupin."

"But I-"

"Charlotte, I can't give you special treatment just because I've raised you. I have to treat you like I would any other student here, and I will not tolerate you not doing your work and dozing off."

Charlotte's eyes were starting to water and a lump formed in her throat, "I'm sorry, I just woke up late and was in a rush. It won't happen again Remus, I swear."

Remus let out a deep sigh and rubbed his temple when he saw the tears form in Charlotte's eyes, "I am no longer just with you, I am in charge of all the students that walk into my room. I need you to understand that I can't have you disrupting my class."

"Okay, I am sorry," Charlotte says as she looks at Remus with sincere eyes.

"I know," He says with a small smile, "now get to your next class, I don't want you to be late!"

Charlotte smiles at him before turning and leaving to continue the rest of her first day back at Hogwarts.