Chapter 15: The Chamber

Harry removed the invisibility cloak as soon as the three reached Professor Lockhart's office. Lots of movement and noise was coming from the room and when Charlotte knocked, it fell quiet. The door cracked open, Lockhart's blue eye peeped through it.

"Mr. Potter- Mr. Weasley- Miss Potter-" He stuttered. "I'm rather busy at the moment- perhaps it would be best to return later."

The three burst into his office and they all looked around. The room had been stripped; there were no more posters on the wall or hats on the hangers. Bags were hastily stuffed with clothes and shoes were sprawled throughout the office. "Are you going somewhere?"

Lockhart quickly glanced at Harry, "Well I- there was an urgent call- unavoidable- and I-"

"What about my sister?" Ron yelled. Lockhart looked embarrassed as he stopped packing and looked at Charlotte, Ron, and Harry.

"I'm terribly sorry about that- most unfortunate." Lockhart quickly said, once again putting papers into a case. "I do regret, but I really most be going-"

"You're leaving?" Charlotte finally shouted, causing him to jump.

"Well- when I took the job, nothing said anything about -" Lockhart mumbled as he piled his brushes into a bag.

"You're running away? After all you've done in your books?" Harry's face had gone red.

"Books can be misleading." Said Lockhart, not looking up.

Charlotte couldn't help her attention as it drifted away from the argument and onto the amount of luggage the man had. The room was more than half full of different sized bags and they were all full of useless junk he so desperately needed. Her mind finally caught up with her and she shook her head to regain her attention to the man.

"-and now there is just one more thing." Lockhart said, pulling out his wand towards them. Charlotte's eyes widened. What had she missed? "I'm awfully sorry, you three, but I can't have you telling all my secrets, now can I?"

"Expelliarmus!" Harry shouted, and Professor Lockhart flew backward, his wand flying out of his wand and Ron catching it

They walked to the girl's lavatory, which Charlotte thought was extremely odd. She just hoped Harry knew what he was doing. Professor Lockhart was in front of them, Ron and Harry's wands were to his back. They walked in to find a ghost sitting on a toilet. "Oh, it's you." She said. Had she met Harry before?

"Hello, Myrtle. I need to ask you a question..." Harry started, watching the ghost as she floated closer to them waiting for him to continue. "how exactly did you die?"

Charlotte was in disbelief when she saw that the ghost wasn't offended, but was instead looked to be flattered. "Oh it was dreadful. I had hidden in here because Olive Hornby was teasing me about my glasses. I was crying when I heard somebody speaking. They said something funny, a made up language. I realized that it was a boy speaking so I opened the stall door to tell him to go away, and then... I died."