Chapter 9: The Bludger

By Saturday the cat was old news and everyone was excited about the first quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor against Slytherin. It was not a beautiful day; the sky was filled with grey clouds and darkening clouds seemed to be on their way. Charlotte and Abigail came down from their dormitory and saw all the Gryffindors dressed in scarlet, ready for the match. The two put on their scarves and went to eat breakfast; and they found Ginny already sitting, buttering a piece of toast. "Hi." Charlotte said, not knowing if Ginny would respond.

"Hello." Her voice was small. Charlotte and Abigail sat next to Ginny and began to fill their plates with bacon and sausage. As soon as they finished eating, they made their way to the quiddich pitch. Charlotte had never seen anything so amazing in her life, the stands were very tall and each was covered by their house colors. She saw Harry in his uniform and broomstick in hand.

"Hello Charlotte!" Colin said as soon as the three girls sat down. He had his camera held with both of his hands and the flash had gone off four times in the last two minutes.

"Hi, Colin." She replied, she tried to look else where to avoid continuing the conversation.

"Exciting game, isn't it? Oh look, is that Harry down there?" Colin looked below them then proceeded to yell Harry's name and wave. Charlotte's face turned a light shade of pink. "I've got to get a better view. I'll see you around!" And with that, Colin got his camera and left.

The match was to start soon, Ron and Hermione saw Charlotte with her friends and sat with her. Cheers ruptured from the crowds as the Gryffindor team fly out of their locker room. Slytherin came out second and the two teams stood on opposites of Madam Hooch and waited for her to blow the whistle. It's blown and broomsticks have kicked off the ground and flew into the sky. Charlotte tried to keep up with all the different balls, but there were too many of them. She finally caught a glimpse of Harry, it seemed as if he was being chased by one of the balls.

"Is that ball supposed to chase people?" She asked, nudging Ron in the arm. He looked up and saw what she was talking about.

"Oh bloody hell, that Buldger's been rogued!" He yelled. "Where is Fred and George?" At that instant, George came to Harry's aid but the Bludger returned to its course to Harry. Charlotte's eyes were wide open, she didn't know if she should be worried for her brother or not, all she could do was hold on to Ron's arm.

"Is he going to be okay?" She yelled over the screaming crowd.

"Yeah, he'll be okay." He answered as Madam Hooch blew her whistle. Slytherin was ahead and the Gryffindor's seemed to be arguing with each other on the field. Then she felt it, rain. At first little sprinkles, but as the game continued the sprinkles had evolved to splashes. It was beginning to get harder to see out onto the pitch, but Charlotte kept her eyes on Harry, who was doing twists and spirals to avoid the Bludger. He dived, he took his hands off his broom.

Gryffindors screamed and cheered as it was announced, "Harry Potter caught the Snitch! Gryffindor wins!" Only Harry wasn't getting up from where he fell, he was stiff in the mud. "What's the matter with him?" She yelled, getting very worried.

"I dunno, come on!" Hermione said as she pushed past cheering Gryffindors. They ran onto the quidditch pitch, followed by the most of the Gryffindor house.

Harry's eyes were closed when they reached him and the Gryffindor team surrounded him. "Harry?" Charlotte shook him.

"Out of my way, Miss Potter, I'll get him." Lockhart said and took Harry's arm. Harry's eyes opened and he jumped when he saw Lockhart hovering over him. "Ah, hello Harry, I was about to fix you arm."

"No, not you." Harry said.

"Shouldn't we take him to the hospital wing?" Charlotte suggested. Harry looked at her as if to say 'get Madam Pomfrey now.' but before she could move the professor had already said the spell. She saw Colin's camera flash as Harry's arm went limp.

 She saw Colin's camera flash as Harry's arm went limp

"Ah, well, that can happen. You- fetch Madam Pomfrey. You two escort Mr. Potter to the hospital wing, to tidy him up a bit." Lockhart said. Charlotte, Ron, and Hermione helped Harry to his feet and took him to the hospital wing.

∞∞∞∞∞

After Madam Pomfrey called Lockhart every name she could possibly think of, she began to look for medicine to make Harry's bones grow back. "Does it hurt?" Charlotte asked after Harry put his pajamas on.

"No, it doesn't feel like anything." He replied.

"Here it is, Potter, Skele-grow. You're in for a rough night." She handed Harry a glass full of bubbling liquid, which he gagged on the first gulp.

Madam Pomfrey left, leaving the three to help Harry drink the rest, "At least we won," Ron said. "You should have seen the look on Malfoy's face!"

"I want to know who tampered with that Buldger." Hermione stated.

"Well we can ask Malfoy after the polyjuice potion is ready." Harry said, gulping down an entire glass of water.

"Polyjuice potion? What's that?" Charlotte asked, looking at the three. Apparently it was something she wasn't supposed to know about, because Harry's eyes widened and Ron looked from him to Hermione, thinking someone would tell Charlotte.

Hermione was about to say something before the doors to the wing opened and the Gryffindor team piled in talking up a storm. They surrounded Harry's bed and Charlotte was excluded from the group. She felt upset that her brother wouldn't tell her what he was doing, so she left the wing and went back up to the common room. Colin was the first to greet her by asking how Harry was and if he was okay. She thankfully shrugged off his questions and went up to her dormitory and went straight to sleep.

When Charlotte awoke the next day, she got dressed immediately. She wanted to see Harry in the hospital wing after she ate her breakfast. She quickly ate her eggs and toast just as the clock struck nine. She walked to the infirmary and opened the door to reveal that Harry's bed was made up. She walked to the bed and saw no trace of Harry anywhere. On the other side of the room she saw a bed with the curtains pulled. She assumed the worst and that Harry had an allergic reaction to the Skele-Grow and was slowly and surely dying behind the curtain. She walked to the bed and slowly pulled the curtain. She nearly screamed. It was not Harry behind the curtain. It was Colin Creevy, petrified!