Forester

Steve didn't fall far in the dark and hit the dusty ground. He coughed and stood up. He had little time to comprehend what just happened when he heard some loud clicking from somewhere behind the walls. It was just what he had warned Sam about.

It has to be a trap.

The clicking sound moved behind him. He turned around and heard the sound of arrows being fired. Into the small speck of light that Steve was in, he could see the arrowheads catch the light. He ducked backwards, dodging one of them. He twisted his head to avoid the second one, and the third just barely grazed his shirt before hitting the wall. The second one caught part of his sword on his back and ricocheted into the opposite wall. The dispensers just clicked harmlessly. They were emptied of arrows. Sam could only hear what was going on from up above.

"Steve!" He shouted. "Steve! You okay?"

"Everything's good," he assured. "I'm not--"

"Gotta keep it fresh or it'll spoil," a strange voice echoed through a doorway behind him. "My special surprise."

"Be quiet and stay there!" Steve hissed.

He grabbed his sword and darted to the corner of the doorway. He could hear someone muttering to themselves. Their footsteps were getting closer and closer. He wanted to take a peak in case it was more than one person, but he couldn't risk being discovered. The strange voice drew even closer. Whomever was there was almost on him.

"I have to get the chicken. I like chicken. Oh, big! It's definitely a big chicken! Juicy and big--"

As soon as he could see movement, Steve used the pommel of his sword and cracked the old man over the head. His body crumpled to the floor, unconscious. Steve could hear his heartbeat in his ears and finally took a fresh breath.

What's going on down here? He thought.

"Okay," Steve called. "It's safe."

Sam broke away more of the surface hole and jumped down. He hit the pressure plate, but the dispensers had nothing to fire. He looked down at the pressure plate.

"Wow. You weren't kidding about those traps."

The golem jumped down, shaking the ground when it landed.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked. "You look like you're in shock."

"I-I'm fine. I'd feel a lot better if this old nutball hadn't tried to kill me."

He pointed to the old man's body on the floor. His head was balding, and what hair was left had grayed and had a shoddy cut. Wrinkles covered his face, and his clothes were tattered and old. They were a little faded and smelled, too. His gray beard needed a desperate shave. The man wasn't a villager but an actual person.

"I guess he had that coming," Sam said. "What are we gonna do about him?"

"Knowing the jungles as I do, it might be better to use tunnels to get through. This guy looks like he has been down here for a while. He probably knows them better than we do, so we'll keep him close. For now."

"Let's keep pressing onward, then."

Steve knelt down and picked up the man.

"Can you give me a hand?" He asked.

"Hey, you knocked him out. You can carry him," Sam said smartly.

Steve shot him an annoyed look and hauled the man over his shoulder. There was only one direction to go, so he followed the tunnel. Sam had to mine out the doorway so the golem could follow. When they had reached the main tunnel, they couldn't push away the smell of the place. There were random pools of stagnant water. At least, they hoped it was water. Steve followed the torches on the wall. They would eventually find where the guy lived.