Marinette's POV, 16 hours earlier....

'And so, the superlative used in Greek Tragedies..' The teachers voice echoed around the room, teaching in depth the reason of the existence of sorrow based on a story of a guy marrying his mom. 

I honestly couldn't care less.

Nino was sitting beside me, with his hood over his head to hide the headphones on his ears. He was bobbing his head to the music, rhythmic taps could be heard by the people near us as Nino hit his foot against the floor to the sound of the music we were sharing, because we honestly couldn't care less about greek tragedies. Alya was paying attention, so I guess she'll tell me a resumed part of what Mr Damocles was on about. If she doesn't kill me for listening to music first...

But eh, who said she needed to know that?

The climax of the song was about to arrive. Nino held his taps and lifted his head extra up, ready to do a definite bop. I wish, I wish, I wish... I wish you were sober.. OH! I WISH YOU WERE SOBER! We both closed our eyes, enjoying what was left of the song. When it ended, he turned to me with a smile that quickly faded as he whispered.

"Hey Mars, your bruises are worse today. You fell again?" His eyes reflected worry as he pointed to one of the bruises in my arms, which was a dark purple with green. "I don't remember getting any. They're appearing like plague on me these days.." I whispered back, pulling my sleeve further back to reveal another 5.

"Mars. Does Adrien know?" 

I held my breath, hopes of him not asking that quickly shriveling up. I waited a minute to answer, hoping to be saved by the bell. Sadly, the bell did not come through, so I saw myself obliged. I sighed. "No. I didn't want to worry him more. I fainted twice this week and the doctor's results are enough to keep him pulling his hair. I-It's enough with that. It's probably because of the akumas or something. I do get beat up pretty bad in those fights, depite Chat taking a role as the 'human shield' he wishes to be. He doesn't know about the scars either. They both have enough in their plates. I don't want to be a burden." Nino sighed deeply before looking at me once again.

"Your nose is bleeding again." 

I took some tissues from my bag and softly wiped my nose, the white paper bloody. I was running out of tissues. The symptoms were becoming overwhelming, I hated the blood dots on my essay papers and fainting in the middle of a conversation with Nino or Alya. I hated being overly tired after walking for 5 minutes or looking at myself in the mirror everyday with my body full of bruises. I wanted it to stop. I didn't want anyone worrying for me. That was my job. "I don't like this, Marinette. That is like, what? The fourth time today?" I turned to look at him fully. "It's really not that deep, Nino." He eyed me incredulously. "Come on, dude! At least go to the nurse! She knows about your diagnosis! So does the teacher-"

"But I don't want to, Nino! There's bigger things to worry about right now! I have to worry about a backup plan, about hiding these," I said, signaling at my earrings. "I have to care about Monarch and I have to care about-" 

"Adrien. Adrien cares a lot for you. I do too. Alya does too. We care about you. You are one of our priorities, and by not caring for us you are harming us Marinette. If you need me to put it like this for you to actually care about a literal cancer, then I will. Care about yourself for once, Mars!" My breath hitched. He was right. If I died because I didn't care for myself enough, I would leave them with guilt and grief. Especially Adrien. He might get depressed. He might harm himself.

And then it hit me.

Adrien might try to go after me.  And I would be the cause.