[2.3] Seo Changbin

Someone was knocking adamantly on my door, and I tried not to show the kid my nerves. Of course, having people learn the location of where I live was always a sensitive subject, but I didn't want the boy to experience any crazy fans at my doorstep when it looked like he had completely forgotten about the bad afternoon he'd had. I got up and walked to the door, peeking through the peephole first. My eyes widened at the face of the woman on the other side of the door. It was the one from last night and this morning. Now was not the time to be harassed by her in front of Yu-Jin either.

I opened the door to come nearly face to face with her, anger bubbling in her eyes.

"What are you doing with my son??" She gritted her teeth and tried to look past me.

The world paused. I took a step back and put my hands up in surrender. "Whoa. Yu-Jin is your son? I didn't know! I just met him this afternoon when he almost knocked me over running in the rain."

She squeezed her eyes shut tightly and pinched the bridge of her nose. I could see her taking several deep, calming breaths. While I had the chance, I let my eyes roam over this feisty woman and had to bite my tongue. She was standing in front of me, passionate and protective, in baggy sweats that showed off her curves and a loose fitting t-shirt that could pass for a boyfriend's... if I were to think that way. She was simply gorgeous. And single. Very single.

I cleared my throat to bring my thoughts back to the present and out of my pants. "Yu-Jin told me about his day, and he had a pretty sucky afternoon. He said he was going to be home alone, so I invited him to play video games with me until you got home and we ordered take out. Nothing else. He's a good kid. And he's really funny." I waited for her to look at me again. When she removed her hand from her face and raised her eyes back to mine, I had a flashback from last night—the red-rimmed eyes and exhausted face of a woman at my door. Then I heard Yu-Jin's voice from earlier telling me that their apartment was right below mine. And it clicked. What a douchebag. If the music was loud enough for someone to call in a complaint, and it wasn't her, then just how loud would the bass have been in her apartment right underneath mine since low frequencies travel downward...? I suddenly felt horrible. As a producer, I should have considered that outcome.

"Where is my son?" Her voice was soft and tired.

I stepped to the side in the doorway, opening the door wide enough for her to enter. "He's playing Mario Kart in the sitting room. There's pizza and some gimbap on the counter, some drinks in the fridge. Beer's on the door if you want one." She moved to pass me but I laid my hand on her shoulder when she was right next to me. "Oh... Hey... So, I don't know if he's told you about the kids that bully him at school." Her eyes widened in alarm, but I held up my hand for her to pause. "They got some hits to his face today when his dad didn't show up. I wanted you to know before you saw it."

Her eyes filled with tears and her hand came up to cover her mouth. "What??" She whispered in disbelief.