Chapter 14

Japanese
Italian
---
"Oi, wake up kid. We're here."
I opened my eyes and Aki-sensei loomed over me. Kaori held my bag in her arms.
I yawned.
Climbing out of the helicopter, I stumbled slightly. We were on the roof of a building and the wind forcefully blew my ponytail around.
We entered the building and boarded an elevator heading for the first floor.
I stood in silence.
"I hope you remember what I taught you in class. Since everyone there speaks a bunch of different languages, we generally use Italian and English."
Ding.
Aki-sensei exited first followed by Kaori then me.
The lobby was bustling and noisy.
We wove through the crowd of mafia members. Reaching the check-in table, Aki-sensei signed us in and received two keys.
"Okay. I'm rooming with Kaori and here's your key Nika."
I took it from him and put it in my pocket.
"HEY AKIRA! YOUR HERE!"
A male jumped onto Aki-sensei.
"Yea...get off...can't...breathe."
The male stood up.
"Hey Kaori...sup pipsqueak. The family is waiting for you guys."
He led us away from the counter.
My eyebrow twitched. Pipsqueak?
Kaori leaned down and whispered, "That Akira's cousin, Robin."
"He annoys me."
Kaori let out a small laugh.
"I guess so."
---
I stood uncomfortably among the Crearma family.
Aki-sensei and Kaori were embraced in hugs.
For a moment, I stood there left alone, but I was soon spotted.
"Who's this Akira?"
The family stopped and looked at me.
"Awww, she's so cute."
"How old is she?"
"Is she your student?"
"She's short."
"Is she going to team with you?"
"Is this her first time?"
They could totally avoid me and ask Aki-sensei can't they.
"I can answer questions you know."
"Oh so she can understand Italian."
"Well I wouldn't be much of a student if I didn't."
Aki-sensei laughed and came up besides me.
"This is Nika Kai or Kai Nika to the Japanese. She's my apprentice, funny story actually I'll tell you later. She the third member of Squadra Vendetta Vincente."
They greeted me and introduced themselves.
"Akira! What type of team name is that you idiot?"
"I like it though!"
I was pulled away temporarily by a group of people.
"So your his apprentice! I heard so many stories. He must've acted pretty stupid while training you. How old are you?"
"I am 14."
A murmur ran through the group.
"You know you're the youngest in your division...not to mention the smallest."
"I know."
"Aren't you afraid?"
"I am, but I was taught by a Crearma member right?"
"Ooh, I like her."
They started laughing. I smiled slightly.
"Nika! Let's go."
"Good luck!"
"See you at the ball shortie!"
"Thank you. Bye."
Shortie huh?
---
"Okay so the Gun battle starts two days and we have all of tomorrow to make our weapons. Nika, you and I are making the weapons."
"Okay."
"Kaori, you pack the survival bags and the repair and equipment bag."
"Gotcha."
"Okay get a good nights rest and we'll meet up here at 7 AM sharp."
---
I slipped on my shoes and double knotted them. I stretched slightly before grabbing my bag and key, leaving my hotel room.
I sat down on a chair at the meeting spot and waited.
6:45 AM
A few people past to and fro.
Some Crearma and some Difuce.
6:56 AM
"Heeyyy, Aren't you that little brat studying with Akira?"
A tall male stood in front of me. I didn't bother to tilt my head up.
"And if I am?"
"Oh nothing, seems like I was right. I was just wondering because you know, it's not everyday you see a weak little twig sitting in the hallways among the Difuce redwoods."
I raised my brow. Well I can guess which famiglia he's from.
"Mmmhmmm. How old are you?"
"19. Why ya askin'? Want to see if you have a chance?"
Younger than 27. I assume he's also participating. Hope he likes losing.
"Hardly. I was just wondering if you were 5 with a the nonsense you're spouting."
"Excuse me?"
"You are excused. Please leave the exit is to the left."
I finally looked up, my eyes meeting with the man.
Seeing my eyes, he grew more furious for some reason.
"You little brat!"
He swung his fist preparing to punch me.
7:00AM
"OI! Daichi!"Aki-sensei jumped in stopping his fist "save the fighting for the arena! Want me to report you for violation of the rules."
"Out of my way you freak! That little girl of yours started it!"
Aki-sensei looked down at me in questioning.
I stated, "I simply answered his questions and asked my own questions. As for the statement about your age, Daichi, I was simply wondering as you did when you approached me. Am I not correct?"
I once again looked up staring into his eyes intensely with a smile.
He gave no reply, but his face glowed a dark furious red.
Looking irked, he walked away.
"and that is how you get rid of a dimwit", I said watching him turn a corner.
"Nika...honestly...", Aki-sensei sighed.
"He started it."
"But don't continue it. Don't do that again."
"...Fine."
Kaori spoke from where had been standing the entire time, "Lets go."

Aki-sensei walked in front guiding our small group. I lingered with Kaori.
"If Daichi is 19 and the last gun battle he participated in was 2 years ago, then Aki-sensei was 25 and sabotaged by a 17 year old. Tsk. tsk."
"Nika, don't forget the numerous other people who were deceived as well. Don't go laughing about it."
"I wasn't laughing, but I get your point."
Aki-sensei stopped and turned around.
"Okay we're here. Kaori get the packs ready. Nika put the skills I taught you to use. Move out. We only have until midnight."
Kaori interrupted, "Nope. Breakfast first."
---
10:00AM
We stood in a room specifically assigned to our team.
"Nika. Start on your sniper rifle. Put your heart into it. I'll start the other guns. We wasted 3 hours on breakfast. 3!"
"Yea."
If this were the real world, this would be impossible to prepare and accomplish before midnight.
---
3:00 PM
I was finishing the last touches on my beloved rifle, but Aki-sensei was long done with his portion and making special bullets.
I lifted the rifle from the table. I wonder if the tricks I specified for this works or not. Aki-sensei looked seeing pick up my rifle.
"You done?"
"No. Not yet."
I felt a glow of pride and happiness looking down at my gun.
I flipped it and pulled on the strap that was hanging from it. The rifle rearranged itself a metal box and I place it on my shoulder holding the strap.
"Compact."
Pulled on the strap again, swinging it the front while grabbing a certain dent. The sniper rifle unfolded itself fitting into my arms.
"Sniper Rifle."
Aki-sensei laughed.
"You're getting better. Check this out."
He took out one of his guns.
"Gun. Blade. Gun. Blade. I am master of all transforming weapons."
"I get it."
I looked down at my rifle again and smiled.
Aki-sensei sat down slightly tired.
"You know this is what makes our team different. You and I, we have imagination", he spread out his arms " and then we apply it to guns. Oh my little student! Sensei has taught you well."
He paused, "You know I'm just waiting for a new sort of thing to appear. These ideas Difuce and Crearma have aren't enough. We need something different. All we ever do with guns is spill blood...that's not fun."
"I suppose so."
3:35PM
"Well my student. I hope I have taught you well, don't die."
"Of course not."
"You know from the time I met you to now...your personality has changed and by change I mean like the change from being blind to being able to see or from being deaf to being able to hear."
Really?
'He's damn right.'
'Oh and good luck tomorrow. Don't die.'
Yes, I get it. May the world stop warning me.
"Oi, Nika! Back to work."