Chapter 5

"Good afternoon, Josie, how are things going?"

"Mostly good doctor. I think I'm growing properly."

"Yes, that's what the tests are showing. Have things been going well for you?"

"Yes, I'm enjoying the development up top. I'm still smaller than most of my friends but it's nice to have. Also, I'm enjoying how my brain is adapting to puberty. I love how my feelings are changing and I've noticed how cute some of the boys are."

"That's great to hear. Have you had your period yet?"

"Um, yes, a couple of weeks ago. That wasn't much fun, despite how proud of me mum was."

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling a bit strange. I was easily agitated and snapped at people for no real reason.

"Hay Josie, take it easy. Are you okay," asked Milly.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what's wrong."

"It's OK. Are you feeling bloated or having stomach cramps?"

"A little bloated, why?"

"Talk to your mum but I think it's your time of the month."

"What, do you mean I'm finally getting my period?"

"Probably," said Stacy. "It does seem to fit."

"Oh, isn't that a bit quick? It's only been 6 months since I started developing."

"No, it fits well. Mine was about that long after I started." Milly nodded in agreement.

"OK, I guess I should talk to Mum after school. Thanks, girls."

"Always happy to help our best friend."

"Speaking of friends," said Milly with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Have you seen Arthur today, Josie?"

"Not really, just when I walked into class this morning."

"I think he's had a growth spurt. His pants are looking a little tight."

"Yeah, maybe. He does seem a little taller of late."

"Not just that Josie, have you seen his butt. I mean, it's not as good as Matt, but it's still very nice."

"I don't think Matt's is that good," said Stacy, "not like Cliff."

"I guess you'd like to jump off that," they both giggled, I just started at them.

"Girls come on, I'm not sure what you mean."

"Josie, please," said Milly. "I've seen you checking out the boys at lunch."

"Maybe a little. Arthur is still the hottest though," I said with a grin that the girls giggled at.

When I got home, I told my mum about how I was feeling and what my friends suggested was happening. She gave me a hug then we jumped in the car and went to the shops. She brought me some pads, which was so embarrassing, but I'm glad she did. That night I woke up with a stomach cramp and I had to go to the bathroom. I noticed the blood in my nickers, luckily it hadn't gotten anywhere else yet. I cleaned myself up, changed my underwear and added a pad for the night. It was a little uncomfortable, and the cramps weren't fun, but strangely, I didn't hate it. I felt like I was growing up, like my body was developing properly, that I was becoming a woman. I'm so happy that I am.

A few minutes after I finished in the bathroom, Mum came in and hugged me.

"Are you doing ok Josie?"

"I'm ok. I've got cramps but I'm doing okay."

"I'll be back shortly." Mum left and I heard her in the kitchen getting me some water. "Sit up honey," she said turning on my lamp. "Here, take this, it should help with the cramps." She handed me a couple of tablets and the water. "Now, I know this isn't always the most enjoyable thing about being a woman. There are a lot of good things that come from this, for me, it's you and your sibling. I love both of you so much, I'll take the monthly friend that comes with it."

"I know Mum, you've told me already. I'm not regretting anything. I love being a girl and I'm excited about being a woman, the good and the bad."

"That's good to hear. Now lie down and try to get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning, hopefully, you will be feeling better." I rolled over and she turned off my lamp. Mum stayed sitting on my bed, rubbing my back, and stroking my hair until I went to sleep.

I woke up in the morning, feeling a bit better than last night, still not great though. After going to the bathroom and changing my pad, I got ready for school and went to breakfast.

"Morning honey," said Mum, "how are you feeling this morning?"

"I'm doing okay. A little tired but ok. Thanks for everything last night mum."

"Always honey. I'm glad I could help. My mum did that for me when I was your age." I hugged her and finished breakfast.

At school, I told my girl friends, and they gave me hugs and said they would be happy to help me for the next few days. I'm so grateful I have my friends. Also, that week I agreed with the girls about Arthur looking better than he had before.