dancing on the ceiling (pt1)

"Stop pacing! For crying out loud, you're making the rut in the carpet deeper!"
Tobias changes direction, pacing to the window and back. "I can't help it! I haven't had a date in years! First, the restaurant cancels, and then the weather turns, what next, a national emergency?"
"Toby, relax, please." Urges Michael.
"It'll be fine. It's almost sundown. She'll be here any minute."
Tobias paces faster, eyes scanning the room. "This place is horrendous. The paper has only just been done, The furniture is barely vintage, and my cleaning must still smell of the 1800s. Why did you have me ask her here?!"
Michael rolls his eyes and stands, striding over to Toby and firmly sitting him in front of a reflectionless mirror.
"Because for the first time in forever," he asserts, "You dear Tob, had the fangs to ask out the most beautiful bombshell this side of the century. Come hail or heatwave, I'm not letting you miss out on this one, so be a brave soldier, straighten your tie, and quit whining, or I'll lock you in a casket full of cloves."
Toby nods slowly before moving to the window at the sound of a carriage pulling up to the gate.
A slender figure steps out, shielded from the setting sun by a large black parasol, a matching curtain of lace covers her face, melting into the neck of her gown.
"Sweet blood moons, she looks like a specter!" Michael exclaims, shaking Tobias by the shoulders excitedly as they watch her long, graceful ghostly strides towards the house. As her gloved hand rings the bell, Michael bolts downstairs, tearing off his tweed vest and throwing on a coat and tie.
"What are you doing!?" Toby panics.
Michael stops at the bottom of the staircase, slicking back his hair and bowing with a cheeky grin. "Why, answering the door, my lord." He snickers.
With his best butler impression, Michael  opens the door and bows his head.
"Good evening, miss." He chirps, offering his hand to help her over the threshold. "Our humble estate welcomes you. If I may?"
He takes her coat after closing the door and gestures up the stairs, atop which Toby now stands in formal attire, hair hurriedly brushed into less of a mess of curls. He gazes at her in awe as she lifts her veil to reveal her face, leaving Michael speechless.
She hands her hat and veil to Michael, who takes them carefully and stands aside as she takes the stairs in utmost elegance. Once at the top, Toby escorts the woman into the lounge, shooting back a last glance at Michael, who hurriedly gives a bright smile and enthusiastic thumbs up before the door closes.
With little sound but the ticking of a clock and the quiet swing trickling from the phonograph, Tobias is left clueless about what to do next, completely bewitched by the womans bright ruby eyes that smile at him warmly.