CHAPTER 15

The next few days were like walking on eggshells for Harry, Louis was always on the edge. Jumping and moving away scared at the slightest sound and movement. Harry tried his best to be careful, respectful of his space.

But watching Louis like this was more painful than being shot in the back. Louis' inner warmth and brightness that lit up Harry's dull soul was gone.

Watching a flower bloom, the butterflies surrounding it, enhance its beauty as it sways gently with the song of the winds. But every flower has a last day before the storm uproots them, gruesome and painful as it rips the little flower from the things he loves so much.

It gets swept away into the stygian sky. The flower was Louis, stuck in the stygian sky.

Harry had tried asking him what had happened but that led to Louis hysterically sobbing and hiding in the bedroom for the whole day.

He'd never felt so helpless. He didn't want to cross boundaries, but his heart was clawing at his prickling skin from within. The heat of Louis' pain burned his skin and the helplessness of his condition kept him awake at night.

It had been a week. Louis' phone kept ringing periodically. The names that he saw most often were Niall's and Zayn's.

Harry knew that they were Louis' best friends. He also knew that if he wanted some light shed on this situation, only they could help him. But that also meant explaining to them what Louis is to Harry.

And what is Louis to Harry?

Harry sat up at the question ringing in his head. His past flashed before his eyes , the lingering sense of betrayal to Marcus kept making its way into his heart that he held out his palm for the beautiful boy in his arms.

With Louis tucked safely in bed, he stepped out and walked along the gravelly path. The crunch of the gravel reverberated in the cold silence of the night. The streetlights flashed a faint yellow glow on the wet patches of the melted ice indicating the farewell of winter.

Harry took a deep breath, the rickety old gate causing the monotone tune of the owl's hooting to silence. Leaves showed the way as he walked through the path in the dark with a map engraved in his head. The place he hadn't been to in a while came into view, his breath stuttering.

"Hey Marcus".

Harry didn't mind the cold pressing against his pants when he sat down, thumb tracing his dead lover's name on the marble.

Marcus Rowland.

1992-2018.

No sentimental quote, no heartfelt farewell. He deserved more, he deserved the world. Harry wanted to give it to him, but instead he took away his life.

Tears were falling on his lap without him realising.

"Why does loving again feel like I'm betraying you? I'm scared to admit the fact that I love him. The time we've known each other has been short, barely knowing any truth about each other, but he's just so addictive. Unlike anything I've ever felt. His touch warms up my cold skin and his heart wraps mine in an embrace that rebirths a feeling that I lost with you".

He glances up at the stars, envy boiling in his chest. How lucky they must be, blazing miles away in their own heat, while he is sat here with his soul ablaze and on the verge of bursting. How they must be laughing at his turmoil.

Don't let the stars fool you. They're ablaze in their agony which kills them. We're trapped in our agony which sparks the will to live, the will to take over this agony and survive within us.

You've never failed me darling. I don't blame you. We were history. He's your present. And you're right, he's beautiful. I know you won't forget me and that's enough. I passed away content in your love. Thank you for loving me. Everyone deserves to experience your love, especially Louis. He deserves it.

Harry felt a calm settle over his shoulders, falling slightly as the years of hoarded guilt slowly found its peace in his mind.

"I'll always keep you in my heart, love. But it's time I accepted what my heart's been screaming at me"

He stood up, taking a deep breath and smiling at the sky.

He is here.

Harry strode back towards the house, fishing his phone out of his pocket.

"Hello? Zayn, this is Professor Styles. I need your help"