-1-

October 27th 2014

Niahm

I sat on my bed, staring at the playlist that was open on my phone. I didn't know why I'd kept doing this. I'd done it two years ago as well, even after the falling out. I'd bought the vinyls as well, only to keep them piled in a drawer, and listen to the album on my phone.

I wasn't too surprised after seeing that the album was named 1989, but the song names had peaked my interest, not giving too much away about the songs.
Welcome To New York was pretty much what I'd expected with that name, but i didn't really have too many thoughts about it either. New York wasn't really all that, it was...something, but moving here was never really a 'big thing'.

One song that did interest me though, was Blank Space. Getting curious as i listened to the lyrics, i decided to search for the meaning, and when i found it, i was pretty impressed. The idea of taking a persona that the Internet had created, and twisting it into a song was definitely genius. Despite everything that had happened, i could admit that Taylor was talented when it came to her lyrics.
And as much as i knew the song was meant to be satire, i couldn't help but think about one lyric.

It'll leave you breathless, or with a nasty scar.

I hate to admit it, but Taylor had caused me to feel both of those things. I didn't want to dwell on it too much though. It was in the past, right?

The first song that completely caught my attention was Out Of The Woods.

Looking at it now
It all seems so simple
We were lying on your couch
I remember

I know the lyrics were vague, but I couldn't help remembering all those nights I'd spent with Taylor. We'd lay on the couch together watching her favourite shows, or when Taylor had been writing her first three albums and I would sit there listening to every single lyric. I knew how proud Taylor was of her songwriting.

You took a Polaroid of us
Then discovered
(Then discovered)
The rest of the world was black and white
But we were in screaming color
And I remember thinking

I turned to my drawer, carefully picking up the Polaroid that was rested on top of the vinyls I had of Taylor's albums. I tried to ignore the thought of the letter that remained at the bottom of the drawer that was still sealed after these three years.

I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind and looked at the Polaroid. It was a picture of me and Taylor on my 20th birthday. I could just make out James, Betty, Theo and Selena in the background. Amelia couldn't make it that year, but she still made sure to call me.

As i played the song again, the repetition of 'Are we out of the woods yet?' and 'Are we in the clear yet?' stuck in the back of my mind. I thought of all the anxiety I felt and all the times I'd ask myself if there'd be a time where we didn't have to hide. I guess I don't anymore.

Looking at it now
Last December
(Last December)
We were built to fall apart
Then fall back together
(Back together)

December. The last December we spoke. The last December we spent together. Taylor's 21st birthday. I remember it. Her boyfriend at the time never showed up, so I took her somewhere, I distracted her as much as I could. Did it mean anything to her?

Ooh, your necklace hanging from my neck
The night we couldn't quite forget
When we decided, we decided
To move the furniture so we could dance
Baby, like we stood a chance
Two paper airplanes flying, flying, flying
And I remember thinking