Chapter 14 : Bet and rest

(Y/N) pov

At the sight of your tears, Dazai's expression shifted from concern to a gentle understanding. He reached out and lightly brushed his fingers against your cheek, wiping away the tears with a tenderness that surprised you.

"It's okay, (Y/N)," he murmured softly. "I don't know what you've been through, but you're safe now."

You let out a shaky sigh, grateful for his comforting presence. The memory of that nightmarish experiment still haunted you, but being in this moment with Dazai brought a sense of solace.

"I... I had a terrible dream," you whispered, your voice trembling. "I was in a dark room, and there was this man, Dr. Ashcroft. He... he was conducting experiments on me."

Dazai's eyes narrowed at the mention of the name. "Ashcroft? That name sounds familiar."

You nodded weakly, trying to gather your thoughts. "He injected something into me, and I felt pain like I've never experienced before. But then, I... I summoned a creature. It was beautiful and radiant, but I couldn't control it. And the pain... it was unbearable."

Dazai's expression darkened, and you could see the gears turning in his mind. "Summoning a creature and feeling unbearable pain... That sounds like an ability experiment."

You nodded again, the memories still fresh in your mind. "Dr. Ashcroft mentioned a prophecy... about a chosen one who could summon a powerful being and make a wish. He believed I was that chosen one."

Dazai's gaze remained fixed on you, his concern deepening. "This is more than just a typical ability. It sounds like you're connected to something far greater and more dangerous than we imagined."

You swallowed hard, the weight of the revelation settling upon you. "Dazai, what do you think Dr. Ashcroft wanted with me? And what creature did he want me to summon?"

Dazai's eyes bore into yours with a solemn intensity. "I don't have all the answers, (Y/N), but one thing is clear: we need to find out more about Dr. Ashcroft, his organization, and the true nature of your abilities. And I promise you, I'll do everything in my power to protect you from whatever threat lies ahead."

You managed a small, appreciative smile through your lingering unease. "Thank you, Dazai. I don't know what I would do without you and the others from the Armed Detective Agency."

Dazai's lips curled into a playful grin as he leaned closer. "Well, you see, I am quite extraordinary, so it's only natural for you to feel that way."

You couldn't help but chuckle at his cheeky remark, appreciating the way he could always find humor even in the darkest of moments. Dazai had a unique ability to bring a smile to your face, no matter the circumstances.

Before you could continue your conversation, the door to the room swung open, and a no-nonsense voice filled the air. "What's all this chit-chat about, you two?"

Yosano stood in the doorway, her medical coat and sharp expression leaving no doubt about her profession and personality. She was known for her medical expertise and her straightforward, often gruff demeanor.

Dazai couldn't resist a playful grin. "Ah, Yosano, we were just discussing our plans to conquer the world. Care to join us?"

Yosano rolled her eyes, unimpressed by Dazai's antics. "I'm sure you'd find a way to get yourself killed within seconds before you tried that. Now, (Y/N), how are you feeling?"

You nodded, still somewhat shaken by the memories you'd uncovered but determined to move forward. "I'm okay, Yosano. Just a bit overwhelmed."

Yosano walked over and examined you with a critical eye. "Well, you look alive, at least. Too bad you weren't at death's door; I wanted to try on you my new instrument."