Chapter 20 : Escaping

Recap

You sighed again before looking at the ceiling, "Great, being kidnapped and having to stay here longer to listen to a crazy story and remember horrible memories. This is the best day ever."

End of the recap.

___________

(Y/N) pov

Dazai retorted, gaining your attention, "Well, (Y/N), think of it like a vacation. You won't have to work today and the following days."

You groaned, "Can't you be more serious about this, Dazai? You forgot that once we're out, we'll have to write a report to Kunikida about our kidnapping and the events last night and endure his yelling for two hours!"

Dazai replied, "Don't be like that, (Y/N). I know you don't like paperwork, but I also know you can work pretty quickly to get it done with it if you wanted."

"I know, but still! I'm sure you'll ask me to do it in your stead while you have your sweet time," you grumbled.

"Caught red-handed," he said with a smile.

You wanted to punch him again in the face but you remembered that he still accompanied you here despite his shemes, and in a way, helping you, so you still wanted to thanks him, "You know..."

He tilted his head, "Mm?"

"I wanted to say thank you."

He looked at you confused.

You felt a mix of embarrassment and gratitude, "Come on! You know, for trying to help me earlier with them and trying to cheer me up."

He understood what you meant, "Ah, that. No worries, it's normal to help a friend in situations like this," then added, "But weren't you angry at me before for purposely faking my unconsciousness back then?"

You thought about it again, and it was true you were still angry at him, however you couldn't help but be understanding. After all, it was in his character to be sometimes a complete asshole toward people, and that was what you liked about him; he had no care in the world about what people would say about him and just did what he wanted. He could be gentle and attentive as a guardian toward the people he liked while being a complete jerk toward others. He was like a symbol of freedom to you back in your world, and that was his charm. So, you responded in a gentle tone, "Well, it's true that I'm still angry at you, but what can I do? I'm not in the position to say what you did is wrong when I myself don't know if what I do or did was right. You're you, and that fact alone will never change."

Your answer left him perplexed; he certainly didn't expect this at all. There was a little moment of silence before he spoke again in a serious tone, "You think so? Even though I could be the worst piece of shit that could ever exist?"

You knew what he was referring to, and you continued to express your opinion, "Yes, even though you could be the worst piece of shit or a complete jerk or whatever you want, it's clear you had a reason for that. We all have things we don't want others to know about us, making us do certain actions that some people will qualify as good or bad, but it's our right. Even though I still don't know what to think about myself with all that is happening, I had my reasons for what I did, like you back then." You then smiled warmly, "You can be good or bad; it doesn't change the fact it was your choice; your freedom to do it. After all, we are human, and it's our right to be who we want to be, so, nobody is better than you to tell you what is right or wrong. Because I think we all did once a bad thing among the good things we did, and that will never change."