Chapter 3: The Calm Before the Storm

Welcome to September's update, the Golden Trio have finally reached Sulphur Springs. Hope you'll like their interaction (mainly EJ's) with the Campbell family members.

Disclaimer: I do not own Secrets of Sulphur Springs, High School Musical: The Musical Series or all the other offscreen mentioned fandoms. Ten and Jeonghan are from 'Weightless' and they belong to my friend @zealous_light, I only own my Original Characters. With that being said, enjoy!

— — — — — — — — — — —

After driving for almost 4 days in a row (with pit stops, sleeping overnight at motels, and small shopping sprees halfway), they've finally made it to Sulphur Springs.

This seems like a rather quiet town, but the people they've met are nice so far. But then again, the only place they've stopped at so far is the local flower shop. The lady who runs the store seems nice, and the part-timer boy was sweet.

"I can't believe you refused to sleep." Cress frowned at EJ.

"You showed me a HORROR movie on your laptop. How else am I supposed to sleep?!" EJ exclaimed.

"Eh, this is still one of the tamer movies." Cress shrugged nonchalantly, much to EJ's (and Ten's) bafflement.

"I stopped paying attention the moment the opening credits went on. I told you to tune it all out, but you never listened." Ten rolled his eyes. He immediately went to sleep while EJ remained wide awake by the end of the film.

This was JUST LIKE when she first showed them 'Coraline' when they were 14. EJ was so traumatized by the movie, he slept at Ten's place for a whole week. It took both Ten and his cousin Tern (who was visiting for the summer holidays) to drag him out for meals.

"We're getting close to the hotel." EJ noticed the signboards leading to the old hotel.

"Over there! That signboard." Cress pointed at a worn-out signboard by the end of the road.

'Tremont Hotel'

"We're here." Ten pulled over, as the three teens looked at the run-down Tremont Hotel.

"How do I look?" EJ checked his reflection in the mirror, before asking for his friends' opinions.

"Like a dork with zero fashion sense." Cress teased. That earned a light nudge on the shoulder from her tall friend.

"How dare you, I've been told I'm handsome." EJ puffed his chest confidently.

"Compliments from your Mama don't count." Cress snorted.

"Complimenting your own reflection in the mirror doesn't count." Ten smirked playfully, before he exchanged a hi-5 with Cress.

At times like these, EJ forgot how (endearingly) annoying his two friends can be when they gang up on him. Ten is usually the Mediator, but even then, his mischievous side shows once in a while.

— — — — — — — — — — —

After smoothing the crinkles of his shirt, EJ stepped forward and hesitantly knocked on the front door. A few seconds later, the door opens as a woman with auburn hair stepped out.

Sarah (nee Jones) Campbell. Or as EJ (and Ashlyn) call her,

"Hey Aunt Sarah." EJ gave a tiny smile to the red-haired woman.

"I wish I was here under better circumstances, but I honestly don't really know where else to go...I don't want to go back to Salt Lake City..." EJ explained, hoping to sound more confident, "A few of my friends have invited me to spend the gap year at Wellard, but part of me just felt like coming here."