vii - The Fjerdan and The Merchling

KAZ WAS WRONG. Oh, that felt nice. Asra did know Matthias Helvar. Not personally, not closely, she barely recognised his face till Kaz said his name. But all the same, it wasn't the first time Asra had laid eyes on the massive Fjerdan.

Where else but Ketterdam could one hop on a rowboat, head out the most secure building in the country, and watch men and beats alike fight to the death? Hellshow was one of Asra's favourite pass times. Hellgate was somewhere she knew well. And Nina managed to mention her Fjerdan in nearly every conversation she had.

The six of them chatted idly while Matthias woke up. He was tied to a chair in the centre of the room. Nina was sat by herself watching him intently. Jesper and Wylan sat around a table, Wylan's head buried in his sketches. Asra sat on the edge of a table, arms folded, watching every one. Kaz sat in the chair beside her. Inej stood quietly on his other side.

When Matthias woke up, Kaz explained. Jurda parem. Asra had heard the whispers, they all had, except Wylan. The drug that could supposedly enhance a Grisha beyond comprehension. Its creator, Bo Yul-Bayur, was locked up in the Ice Court, the most secure building in the world, Fjerda. Jan Van Eck was going to pay them four million kruge each to get him out and safely back to Kerch.

When he was done, the Fjerdan spoke. "No."

"Believe me when I say this, Helvar, I know getting knocked out and waking up in strange surroundings isn't the friendliest way to start a partnership but you didn't exactly give us many options, so try to open your mind to the possibilities."

"You could have come to me on your knees and my answer would he the same." The Fjerdan said in accented Kerch.

Asra stifled a laugh with the back of her hand as some... interesting images sprung to her mind. She decided to save them for later.

Kaz turned his glare back to Matthias. "You do understand I can have you back at Hellgate in a matter of hours? Once poor Muzzen is in the infirmary the switch will be easy."

"Do it." The Fjerdan said. "I can't wait to tell the warden your ridiculous plans."

"What makes you think you'll be going back with a tongue?"

"Kaz," Nina said.

"Do what you want." Matthias said with that patriotic pride only Fjerdans seemed to muster. Why they were so proud of miles and miles of barren ice and snow, Asra would never know.

"I told you." Nina said to Kaz. She sounded tired.

"Don't pretend to know me, witch." Matthias snapped, eyes still on Kaz. He wouldn't look at Nina, Asra noted.

Jesper unfolded his long limbs. "Without him, there's no job. We can't break into the Ice Court blind."

"You can't break into the Ice Court at all." Matthias said.

Asra laughed to herself. Matthias was looking at her like he did beasts he was about to fight. Good, let him try. He wouldn't find her so yielding.

"Come now, Helvar." Kaz crooned. "Surely there's something you want. The cause is rightous enough for a zealot like you. Fjerda might think they've caught a dragon by the tail, but they won't be able to hold on. Once Bo Yul-Bayur replicates his process, jurda parem will enter the market and it's only a matter of time before others learn to manufacture it too."

"It will never happen." The Fjerdan said. "Yul-Bayur will stand trial and if he is found guilty he will be put to death."

"Guilty of what?" Nina asked softly.

"Crimes against the people."

"Which people?" The Heartrender pushed.

"Natural people." The drüskelle replied. "People who live in harmony with the laws of this world instead of twisting them for their own gain."