iii - Good To Be Back

ASRA WAS IN A DAZE. She loved being in a daze. It was so easy to be in a daze. She didn't need to think, to act, to speak, she simply let herself be led by the men surrounding her. Her ankles were shackled, her wrists bound. The sunlight burnt her downcast eyes. How long had she been in that room, in darkness? Her body ached with hunger. Her throat was raw. She'd been slipping in and out of consciousness through her entire captivity. After Van Eck had come in she hadn't been able to pull herself together. She simply pushed herself into a corner and let herself shake and scream. If anyone could hear, they didn't try to stop her.

She didn't know how she'd gotten here. She didn't know where Van Eck had kept her, how he got her here. At some point her body had started working and she began walking, flanked by his gaurds. Her mind, however, was yet to catch up.

She made herself focus on something. They were on the Goedmedbridge, the West Stave of the Barrel. Van Eck was trying to keep his face blank and failing miserably; his shoulders were too tense, a sweat had broken over his brow at the effort of keeping calm. That wasn't right. Something had changed.

Asra looked across the bridge. Kaz was stood on the other side in his dark suit, crow's-head cane in hand. A girl stood beside him. They were talking, but Kaz's eyes never seemed to leave Asra. She ignored that, and instead focused on Van Eck's gaze. His eyes were locked on the girl. A daughter, perhaps? But Asra didn't recall him having a child other than Wylan. Her mind felt like lead. She couldn't be sure.

"Jan!" The girl yelped suddenly, her and Kaz stood about ten feet away. "It's me!"

"I know, my dear." Van Eck said, eyes on Kaz. "This isn't over, Brekker. I want Kuwei Yul-Bo."

"Are we here to repeat ourselves?" Kaz said. "You want the secret to jurda parem, and I want my money. The deal is the deal."

"I don't have thirty million kruge to part with."

"Isn't that a shame. I'm sure someone else does."

"And have you had any luck securing a new buyer?" Van Eck asked.

"Don't trouble yourself on my account merch. The market will provide. Do you want your wife back or did I drag poor Alys here for nothing?"

That's his wife? She looked closer to her son-in-law's age than her husband's. Asra shouldn't have been surprised. It still hurt to think too hard.

She didn't listen as Van Eck conferred with Alys to confirm it was her. It was, and the two women were allowed to cross. Asra spared Van Eck a glance over her shoulder.

"Whoever my mother sent, I'm better. I'll come for you, once Brekker's done making you pay. I will be the last thing you see, Van Eck, and I will be smiling as I cut you open."

Van Eck tensed, and he turned to his very young wife. Asra, chains clinking with every step, walked across the Goedmedbridge to meet Kaz. He waited, still and impassive as ever. He hadn't slept, Asra guessed, but when did he ever? She heard Van Eck sweep Alys up in his arms and pester her with worry behind her. She ignored it. She stopped in front of Kaz.

"You look like shit." She said.

"Could say the same to you."

She ran a tongue over her chapped lips. "My gracious host wasn't exactly gracious. What's your excuse?"

"I've been trying to free you from your gracious host." He drew a knife, that wicked little oyster blade. "Let's get out of here."

She offered her bound wrists. The skin was red and raw, coated in scabbing claw marks. She didn't remember giving herself them. Kaz didn't comment on them he got to work on the ropes.