vi - When the Devil Comes Knocking

KAZ WAS GOING TO THROTTLE KUWEI YUL-BO. The cons of keeping that boy alive was starting to seriously outweigh the pros. Kaz, Inej and Wylan were working on the highwire Inej would use for the silos while Jesper tried to explain to Kuwei how they would reach the embassy. The Shu boy suddenly seemed to lose all progress regarding his Kerch, forcing Jesper to repeat himself about fifty times, his gestures getting more and more wild each time. Maybe Kaz could throttle them both.

Last night, Kaz had seen to Per Haskell while Inej staked out Van Eck's latest security. Jesper and Wylan had been gone all day to Olendaal, hopefully to Saint Hildes. Nina and Matthias were out right now in Little Ravka to rally Nina's refugees. Asra had slept through it all.

Just after midnight, once they were done scheming and planning, Asra had claimed a quiet corner and blanket as her own and huddled down to sleep. Kaz hadn't expected her to do it, honestly. When he returned from dealing with Haskell he'd expected to find her sat silently over a cup of coffee, waiting. He'd have sat beside her with his own cup. They'd have been quiet, like they used to.

She sleeps like she's dead, the thought had come to him like a punch to the gut. She was still there, curled up in her blanket, out cold. Exhaustion, Kaz knew. He doubted she'd slept while under Van Eck's keep, and after a while even people like them simply had nothing left to give. He knew it was good she was resting, but the rest of the night felt lonely somehow without her at his side. He didn't know why.

Morning came, they all woke. Asra didn't. Everyone took care to be quiet as they departed in their pairs. Asra didn't stir. Even when Jesper and Kuwei started their borderline, one-sided screaming match, she stayed still and quiet in the corner.

Jesper threw his hands up. "Can't we just wake up Asra to tranlate?" He said.

"No." Kaz said.

"Yes." Asra said at the same time.

They all jumped, turning in their seats to look at her. She stood, kicking the blanket away, and stretched her arms high above her head, back arching slightly, a soft groan escaping her lips. Her shirt lifted and Kaz didn't look as her stomach was exposed. She headed over to their table, leaning one hand on it slightly as she stood beside Kaz. With her other hand, she grabbed the nearest cup of coffee and sipped. It was Kaz's coffee. He didn't say anything about it.

Without any prompting she turned to Kuwei and started lecturing him in very good, very irritated Shu. Kuwei nodded along, though he looked sulky. Not long after, Nina and Matthias returned. Inej waved them over to the table.

"Did you manage to contact the refugees?" Inej asked, clearing Nina a spot to sit at.

"Everything went smoothly aside from breaking a few windows and nearly getting shot." Nina said.

Kaz looked up from his work, interest piqued.

"Big trouble in Little Ravka?" Jesper asked.

"Nothing we couldn't handle." Nina said. "Please tell me there's something to eat."

"You're hungry?" Inej asked as they all stared in pleasant shock. Her appetite had been non-existent since parem, and Kaz took its return as a good thing.

Nina curtsied. "Yes yes, Nina Zenik is hungry. Now will someone feed me before I'm forced to cook one of you?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Jesper said. "You don't know how to cook."

Asra rummaged through their remaining food and offered it to Nina. She grabbed a few crackers.

"What happened at the tavern?" Kaz asked.