x - Wanden Olstrum end Kendesorum

IT TOOK TEN DAYS TO REACH FJERDA. They docked miles from the nearest port, left their most valuable and precious belongings on the Ferolind, and set out across the snow. Asra had always had an odd affinity for the cold. The dragonish steam of breath before her face, the funny feel of goosbumps along her skin, the peaceful barrenness of snow. She'd always liked it. But Fjerda was really pushing her limits.

The first day was silent. Matthias quickly took the lead. Chatter quickly froze as they trudged ahead. Asra buried her face in the turned up collar of her coat, furry hood pulled up over her head. She settled somewhere towards the back of the group, falling to the outskirts out of habit. The sun eventually began to dip and they set up tents, eating and retiring without a word.

However, the second day, shouldering on their packs and finishing their measly breakfast, Kaz finally decided to divulge the plan. He hadn't on the Ferolind incase one of the crew couldn't be trusted.

"If we get this right we're going to be in and out of the Ice Court before the Fjerdans ever know their prize scientist is gone. When we enter the prison we'll be taken to the holding area beneath the men's and women's cellblocks to await charges. If Matthias is right and the procedures are still the same, the patrols only pass through the holding cells three times a day for headcounts. Once we're out of the cells we should have at least six hours to cross to the embassy, locate Yul-Bayur on the White Island, and get him down to the harbour before they realise anyone is missing."

"What about the other prisoners in the holding cells?" Matthias asked.

"We have that covered." Kaz said. "Once we're out the cells, Matthias and Jesper will secure rope from the stables while Wylan and I get Asra, Nina and Inej out of the women's holding area. The basement is our meet. That's where the incinerator is, and no one should be in the laundry after the prison shuts down for the night. While Inej makes the climb, Wylan, Asra and I scour the laundry for anything he can use for demo. And just in case the Fjerdans decided to stash Bo Yul-Bayur in the prison and make life easy for us Nina, Matthias and Jesper will search the top level cells."

"Nina and Matthias?" Jesper said. "Far be it from me to doubt anyone's professionalism but is that really the ideal pairing?"

"Matthias knows the prison procedure and Nina can handle any guards without a noisy fight. Your job is to keep them from killing each other."

"Because I'm the diplomat of the group?" Jesper said.

"There is no diplomat of the group." Kaz said. "Now listen, the rest of the prison isn't like the holding area. Patrols in the cellblock rotate every two hours, and we don't want to risk anyone sounding an alarm, so be smart. We coordinate everything to the chiming of the Elderclock. We're out of the cells right after six bells, we're up the incinerator and on the roof by eight bells. No exceptions."

"And then what?" Wylan asked.

"We cross to the embassy sector roof and get access to the glass bridge through there."

"We'll be on the other side of the checkpoints." Matthias said, smiling slightly. "The guards on the bridge will assume we passed through the embassy gate and had our papers scrutinised there."

Wylan frowned. "In prison uniforms?"

"Phase two," Jesper said. "The fake."

"That's right." Kaz said. "Inej, Nina, Matthias and I will borrow a change of clothes from one of the delegations, and a little something extra for our friend Bo Yul-Bayur when we find him, and stroll across the glass bridge. We locate Yul-Bayur and get him to the embassy. Nina, if there's time, you'll Tailor him as much as possible, but so long as we don't trigger any alarms no one is going to notice one more Shu among the guests."