Deception

Gamakichi turned up about an hour after everyone had fallen asleep. Naruto was on watch that night since Gaara had been knocked out. Every month, at some random time, Gaara was knocked out from behind by one or more of the others. It was good for him, and for some reason, Shikaku didn't seem able to be a problem. Naruto really felt sorry for Gaara. At least Kyuubi couldn't talk to him...

Naruto had gone into a sort of trance that he would go into after being on watch to long. Haku called it hyper focusing, and Sai called it the state-of-wanting-to-fall-asleep-but-not-quite-managing-it. At three in the morning, it was hard to keep watch, especially when he knew that there was nothing to keep watch for, other then Neji's kicks. He was only aware of Gamakichi when he started to hop towards him. Naruto blinked a few times, but managed to look like he had been paying attention.

When he had first seen a summon animal, Naruto had almost talked it to death. The idea of a huge toad that wore clothes like a human and could speak to him had thrilled the seven-year-old boy. Now, he was used to the whole thing, and had gotten into the habit of talking to the toads like they were anyone else.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Ya got a message from Jiraiya," Gamakichi said, depositing a scroll in his mouth to the floor, "Got anything to eat around here?"

Naruto gave the toad a bit of candy that he saved for these things. Gamakichi and his siblings were always helpful, as long as they were paid, and like most children, they'd do a lot for treats. The older toads, like Gamabunta, Gamakichi's father, had to be paid with other things. Gamabunta wouldn't fight unless one of his kids was in danger, he actually liked you, or you were going to give him sake. Usually the last two were connected.

"I'd read that letter pretty soon if I were you," Gamakichi told him, "Jiraiya seemed like he was serious when he wrote it."

"It had better not have pieces of once of his manuscripts that he wants me to read over," Naruto muttered as be opened if, "If it is tell him that I burned it."

Shippuu,

You liar.

I really ought to tell Tsunade just what's really going on in Wave, but I won't because then I would have to admit to knowing all along.

My sources are telling me that you've all been busy making names for yourselves amongst the populace, as well as infuriating Gato to no end. Good job all of you. From what I'm hearing, you're really doing a great job. No one has really connected you with Hakumei as anything more then agents. You need to keep things like that as long as you can. The longer people don't know who you are, the longer you guys can walk around in public without people trying to kill you.

Now, until a very important matter: my sources tell me that the local bridge builder has enlisted the help of a genin team. While this isn't all that interesting to you guys other then to avoid like the plague. There's something you should know. The team is being led by someone called Hatake Kakashi. I want you to take the letter that I've enclosed in this and give it to him. He's a part of a certain group who is...er...opposed to Danzou. I'm in connection with them. Don't allow the genin team to know anything. I know for a fact that at least one of them is under Danzou's direct orders. Be careful. I can't say who it is, because I'm afraid this could be intercepted, but Arashi should know when he sees them.

Remember to go and talk to Kakashi when you have the chance.

Also, Gato's hired some real bad news. He's called the Demon of the Mist for a very good reason. His name is Zabuza, and he's one of the Seven Shinobi Swordsmen. They're a dangerous group, even now that they've been disbanded. This guy also made an attempt at the Mizukage's life. He's an S-rank opponent, so you had better take him seriously. Also...he seems to have some sort of help, but I don't know too much about it. I'm sure you'll end up fighting him at the rate you're going at.