The Battle for the Bridge

Sasuke had already learned the one major advantage that Swordsmen had: they had a longer reach then he did, and he had to constantly be on the defensive.

Zabuza was faster with that sword then Sasuke had anticipated judging on the size and probable weight of it. His movements were both hard to read and unexpected, and Sasuke was forced to stay back and use his longer range attacks. The problem with them was they were easy to read and anticipate where they were going. Zabuza had no trouble dodging. Kimimaro was having similar problems. He used his Teshi Sendan as much as he could while dodging attacks, he was unable to use most of his truly powerful attacks.

Zabuza actually seemed to be enjoying himself. From what Sasuke could see from the man's face, he was grinning. Sasuke had the feeling that he was playing with them a little. For one thing, he hadn't used any real jutsu yet…

Sasuke jumped up and formed an attack.

"Katon: Housenka!" He called.

A large amount of small fireballs shot out of where Sasuke's mouth was, even though it was covered by a mask.

"Suiton: Suijinheki," Zabuza said as a large barrier of water rose up in a circle around him.

The fireballs hit the shield and went out, but the kunai that had been hidden in them continued. Zabuza lifted his sword to deflect the barrage of kunai. He didn't notice Kimimaro right behind him.

"Tsubaki no Mai!" Kimimaro yelled, a sword made entirely out of bone in his hands.

Kimimaro struck out, only to meet the steel of Zabuza's sword, flipped back and landed on his feet out of range and ready to continue.

"You kids aren't half bad…" Zabuza admitted, "I'm starting to enjoy myself…"

Sasuke didn't say a thing, he just dashed forwards in a zigzag pattern. He had to get closer to him if any attack he made was going to be worth anything. So far all of their attacks were useless, and Zabuza was just going to block every attack that they made.

The sword came to his left, and Sasuke jumped backwards to avoid it. However, before he was completely out of harm's way, the sword and whipped around and grazed his arm.

How was he going to get closer to him without getting killed? His movements were just too fast.

"You kids just keep going at this rate," Zabuza continued, "The longer you keep me entertained, the longer your friends stay alive, since once I'm done with you; I'm going for the old man…"

That meant that he would kill everyone guarding him.

This was the first time that Sasuke had really been in a serious fight. All the others had been with Jiraiya, Tsunade or Shizune, none of whom would kill him, or mercenaries who he was eons ahead of. He had never really been in a situation where a mistake that he made would leave him dead, and possibly everyone else. Sasuke was the unofficial second in command of Hakumei, and, deep down, he considered himself probably one of the most powerful of the group. What if the others didn't fare any better then he was?

What was he thinking? Sasuke wouldn't allow anyone to hurt the others. Not if he had anything in his power.

'Give me strength…' Sasuke prayed, 'I have to get stronger. I refuse to lose anyone that I have gained. I don't care if I die here and now just let me have the power to help them.'