three

Landing in the narrow alleyway where they normally tossed their trash, I smoothed out my disheveled clothes, my heart still racing from the exhilarating flight

Landing in the narrow alleyway where they normally tossed their trash, I smoothed out my disheveled clothes, my heart still racing from the exhilarating flight. I hurried down the sidewalk, my steps quick and determined, until I reached the front of Clark and Lois's house.

Before I could even raise my hand to knock, the door swung open with surprising force. I jumped in surprise, and before I could react, Lois had me by the arm and was pulling me inside their home.

"Easy!" I gasped, trying to regain my composure as I smoothed out my sweater. Lois had always been a force of nature, and her eagerness was contagious.

"Listen..." She caught sight of my pajamas and couldn't help but make a face. "Seriously?"

I shrugged, feeling slightly self-conscious. "You didn't exactly give me a chance to change!"

She shook her head. "Okay, fair point. But it doesn't matter. Go in there and talk to your brother."

"About what?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

Lois held up an article featuring Isobel, dressed in all black, caught in the midst of escaping from what seemed like a circus. The grainy image made it hard to seethe person, but Lois had a knack for spotting the unusual. "Care to enlighten me on what's going on here?"

I squinted at the newspaper, my eyes widening as recognition slowly dawned. I decided to lie anyway. "I have no idea who that is."

Lois let out an exasperated sigh, slapping the newspaper against her side. "You know exactly who it is."

I groaned, feeling a sense of dread creeping over me as I started to connect the dots. I began to walk down the hallway, my thoughts racing. "Is this why you called me?"

Lois followed me down the dimly lit hallway, her steps mirroring the gravity of our shared concern. "I called you because I thought you should know," she explained, her voice lowering to a softer, more empathetic tone infused with unwavering determination.

We entered the cozy kitchen, where Clark sat at the table, nonchalantly munching on a bowl of fresh strawberries. Lois held up the morning newspaper for him to see.

"Oh, God, please," I sighed, feeling the weight of their watchful eyes on me. "I can handle my daughter's problem."

Clark swallowed a mouthful of berries and scratched the back of his head, looking slightly sheepish. "Lois is right, Jess. Now that we know Isobel officially has powers, we can't ignore the fact that she can't be pilfering tigers from circuses."

I came to an abrupt halt, my frustration bubbling up inside me like a brewing storm. "Clark, Lois, you know I love you both, but right now, it's all way more complicated." I glanced around, making sure none of the boys were within earshot. When I was certain the coast was clear, I continued in a hushed tone. "She has no idea that her father is not just the world's most famous man, but also Gotham's Dark Knight. That her siblings all lead double lives as superheroes, and that her mother and uncle are from another planet." I pushed my glasses up my nose with an exasperated huff. "Trust me, when I need advice on my family life, I'll be sure to ask for it."