four

Ever since I became a mom and went through the heartbreak of losing my boys, my protective instincts kicked into overdrive, especially after Alfred's death

Ever since I became a mom and went through the heartbreak of losing my boys, my protective instincts kicked into overdrive, especially after Alfred's death. So, I managed to convince Bruce to set up another base in Gotham, using my old apartment in the Clocktower.

I fumbled with my phone, pulling it out of my pocket and dialing Clark's number. "Hey, sis," he answered on the second ring. "The recital's starting. Where are you and Bruce?"

"They've been taken," I blurted out, rushing up the clock tower steps, feeling the pain with each stumble. I couldn't quite recall how I got there – maybe I used my speed, but the pain was overtaking the adrenaline. "They took my baby and my husband, Clark."

"What?" he asked in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"Talia."

Suddenly, Clark's tone shifted over the phone. "Where are you?"

"My old apartment." I pressed my thumb against the keypad, stumbling inside. "She's hired someone who knows me inside and out. He hit me with Kryptonite; I need Lois to help take it out."

"We're with the boys..."

"Then stay with them until she gets back," I growled, collapsing to the floor. The world was crumbling around me, making me dizzy with nausea. "Clark, I can't do this alone," I whimpered, tears streaming down my cheeks. "I can't lose them too."

Clark's voice carried a sense of urgency through the phone. "Hold on, I'm on my way."

His words provided a glimmer of comfort as I clutched the phone tightly. As I waited, the Clocktower's echoes seemed to amplify the silence, punctuated only by the distant sounds of the city below.

Every passing second felt like an eternity, my mind racing with thoughts of what might be happening to Bruce and Isobel.

My lids began to droop, becoming heavy and harder to stay open.

Finally, the clock tower reverberated with the ominous sound of approaching footsteps, and Clark burst through the door with a determined look on his face. His eyes widened as he saw me sprawled on the floor, weakened and desperate. "Jess!" he exclaimed, rushing to my side and cradling me in his arms. The fear in his eyes mirrored the despair I felt through our unspoken connection.

He quickly yanked aside my sweater, revealing the bleeding wound on my shoulder. Inhaling sharply, he plunged his fingers into the injury. My eyes shot open, and I clutched his arm, letting out a cry of pain. "I know, I'm almost there!" he gasped, wincing as his fingers closed around the embedded bullet.

Summoning all his strength, Clark yanked the bullet from my shoulder and tossed it across the room. A collective sigh of relief escaped both of us as the pain ebbed away. "Jess?" he asked, brushing hair from my face. "You still with me?"

"Yeah," I nodded, taking a deep breath. Glancing at my shoulder, I saw the wound had vanished. Thank God. I just needed a moment to regain my strength. "Help me up."