The month of Rabi'ul-Awwal

When is Rabi al-Awwal?

Rabi al-Awwal is the third month of the Islamic calendar, occurring after Muharram and Safar.

The literal meaning of Rabi al-Awwal is ‘the first spring’, but this has no relevant meaning today, because the Islamic calendar follows the moon rather than the solar seasons. .

Why is Rabi al-Awwal important to Muslims?

Muslims consider Rabi al-Awwal to be significant because the following events took place during this month:

The birth of the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ), the final Messenger to whom the Qur’an was revealed.

The Hijrah of the Prophet (ﷺ), when he emigrated from Makkah to Madinah. The Islamic calendar is dated from this event.

The death of the Prophet (ﷺ), on 12th Rabi al-Awwal in the eleventh year of Islam.

Does Rabi al-Awwal have any special blessings or benefits?

Unlike, for example, the months of Ramadan or Dhul-Hijjah, there are no special recommendations to fast, pray or make du’a during Rabi al-Awwal. However, the events that took place during this month mark it as specifically blessed.

“Allah has chosen elites from his creation: from among the angels He chose Messengers, from among the mankind He chose Messengers (ﷺ), from among speech He chose remembrance of Him (Dhikr), from among spaces on earth He chose the mosques, from among he chose the month of Ramadan and sacred months …So, venerate that which has been chosen by Allah, for people of understanding and wisdom respect that which has been chosen by Him.” [Tafsir Ibn Kathir]

Allah chose Rabi al-Awwal to send the Prophet (ﷺ) into the world, and to take His Beloved  Prophet (ﷺ)  back to Him. Out of the twelve months in the lunar calendar, He chose to bless only Rabi al-Awwal in this way. Therefore, it is of course a special month and deserves our attention and respect. With that in mind, let’s take a more detailed look at the blessed events of this month and what we can learn from them.

Event One: The Birth of the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ)

Rabi al-Awwal is one of the most significant months in Islamic history, because humanity was blessed by the birth of the Prophet (saw) during this month. He (saw) would eventually lead the world - beginning with the Arabs, Persians and Romans - from the darkness of ignorance and oppression into the light of Tawhid, and true justice and peace. His birth was ‘a mercy to the worlds’ [The Noble Qur’an, 21:107], and Allah chose Rabi al-Awwal to illuminate us with this mercy.

The Prophet (saw) was born in Makkah on a Monday in Rabi al-Awwal, though narrations differ on the exact date. Many narrations say the 12th, but others have mentioned different dates between the 8th and the 17th. Nevertheless, he (saw) was definitely born on a Monday:

Abu Qatada al-Ansari (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) was asked about fasting on Monday, whereupon He (ﷺ) said..."It was the day on which I was born. on which I was commissioned with prophethood or revelation was sent to me.

His birth had been anticipated for a long time. Isa (as) had mentioned it to his people five centuries earlier:

’And remember when Isa, the son of Maryam, said, “O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah [sent] to you, confirming the Torah (Law) [which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad”’. [The Noble Qur’an, 61:6]