The Martyr Of Karbala

The gruesome killing of Imam Husain (R.A) on the bloody plains of Karbala was indeed one of the most horrific and tragic events that a Muslim can never forget.

The most beloved grandson who climb up and down on the blessed shoulders of the Messenger of Allah (S.A.S) as a baby, met this great disaster at the hands of his own people, but gained the honourable position and rank as being the shaheed (martyr) of Karbala.

What possible harm could this great soul cause to anyone to deserve the treatment he got from those who professed to be Muslims. He was not only a companion (sahabi), but was indeed the most beloved grandson of the Prophet (S.A.S). In his body, ran the blood and flesh of the noble Messenger of Allah. He was certainly the great Imam, Husain (R.A), the son of Ali (R.A) and Fatimah (R.A). He was the great soul about whom the Prophet (S.A.S) himself said,

حُسَيْنٌ مِنِّي وَأَنَا مِنْ حُسَيْنٍ

‘Husain is from me and I am from Husain.’ (Trimidhi, Hadith No.3775, Pg.566, Vol.2, Altaf and Sons / Musnad of Ahmad, Hadith No.17572, Pg.177, Vol.6,Darul Fikr)

The Prophet (S.A.S) loved his grandson, Husain very much, and this is why he said Husain is from me and I am from Husain.

It is also recorded by Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban that the Messenger of Allah will say about his grandson Hasan and Husain,

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أُحِبُّهُمَا فَأَحِبَّهُمَا

‘O Allah! I love them, grant them your love.’ (Tirmidhi, Hadith No.3782, Pg.567, Vol.2, Altaf and Sons / Musnad Ahmad, Hadith No.9766, Pg.455, Vol.3, Darul Fikr / Ibn Hibban, Hadith No.6967, Pg.422, Vol.15, Al Resala Al Alamiah)

The Prophet (S.A.S) also spoke about the greatness of Hasan and Husain and said,

الحَسَنُ وَالحُسَيْنُ سَيِّدَا شَبَابِ أَهْلِ الجَنَّةِ

‘Hasan and Husain are the leaders of the youths of the people of Paradise.’ (Tirmidhi, Hadith No.3781, Pg.567, Vol.2, Altaf and Sons / Musnad Ahmad, Hadith No.10999, Pg.8, Vol.4, Darul Fikr)

Husain was born from the blessed womb of Fatimah (R.A) about whom the Messenger of Allah (S.A.S) himself said,

فَاطِمَةَ سَيِّدَةُ نِسَاءِ أَهْلِ الجَنَّةِ

‘Fatimah was the leader of the ladies of Paradise.’ (Tirmidhi, Hadith No.3781, Pg.567, Vol.2, Altaf and Sons)

He was nourished and nurtured in a home that was filled with piety and righteousness. He was trained by none other than the Messenger of Allah (S.A.S) himself. He grew up to be a very handsome youth and was blessed with the power of speech. He was extremely versed in the knowledge of Islam, and like his father, was generous and righteous.

He had a noble rank among the companions and had a close resemblance to the Messenger of Allah (S.A.S)

The beloved grandson of the Prophet (S.A.S), Husain (R.A) was a devout worshipper, filled with piety, and remained detached from worldly matters. He was frequently engaged in performance of Salaah, fasted a lot and extremely charitable to the poor and needy. It is narrated that he performed Hajj on foot 25 times.

He was indeed one who truly possessed the characteristics of the Messenger of Allah (S.A.S). He was very beloved to the Prophet (S.A.S) and occupied a very high status in the sight of Allah.

However, notwithstanding these great merits and virtues, Husain (R.A) had to go through severe trials and tribulations. He came up against fierce opposition and persecution, and had to face the anger and wrath of the wicked and cruel rulers. In all these situations, he stood firm like a mountain in the ground, and gave his life to defend and propagate the truth which he learnt directly from his beloved grandfather, the Messenger of Allah (S.A.S).