"Be Happy"

Word count: 1856

Prompt: Rainy Days

°

On the roof of the house, fat raindrops sprayed down, filling Lucy's room with the sound of heavy rain, drowning out any other noises that attempted to be heard.

Settling further into her bed for just a moment, she enjoyed the warmth her blankets provided on this cool fall day.

She squirmed her feet and yawned, today was not a school day, so she would make a warm breakfast of oatmeal, and later she could bake cookies for a special treat. That sounded good. Having her day planned out ahead of time was always a promising thing.

Happily, Lucy jumped out of bed and softly came down the stairs, pulling a cardigan over her pajamas as she went, feeling the chill already seeping into the house from the cracks.

Edmund was already up, sitting at the window, knocking his fingers against the wood, watching as each raindrop raced down the window pane.

She cocked her head, he looked... sad and grumpy, which was not uncommon for him, but, she wanted to make him feel better. That's what she did- she tried to help everyone to be in a better mood. It helped her feel better too.

The stairs creaked as Eustace finally arrived, fully dressed and ready for the day, "It's raining."

Well, that was obvious. She nodded, "Would you like a bowl of oatmeal?"

"I suppose." He reached the table and sat down, watching her as she moved to get the kettle.

Heating water on the stove with only the sounds of pouring rain and her slippers scuffing the floor, Lucy hummed a little tune as she worked.

She set the oatmeal in a pot on the stove, poured the boiling water in, and stared intently as it cooked, each piece of oat softening into a mush inside the metal dish.

Since Ed looked unhappy, she dusted a bit of prized brown sugar on top of his steaming bowl when it was done. Of course, if he was getting something special on his oats, she wouldn't neglect her own, or her cousins; she sprinkled the brown crumbly sugar on all the bowls of food.

Balancing all the dishes in her hands, she gave Eustace a bowl, to which he barely nodded, and then she made her way over to the window where her brother sat.

"Edmund!" Lucy gave her voice an extra bounce, hoping to see a smile when he realized that she'd made him a warm breakfast for the cold day. Hoped he would see her smile and repeat the action.

Eustace glanced their way and shook his head, muttering.

But mutely, Ed took the bowl and continued staring out the window, occasionally stirring his oats with the spoon she provided, half-heartedly moving his hand.

"Interesting rain, huh?" She scooted closer, chewing on her oatmeal, feeling the warmth settle in her stomach when she swallowed. Her slippers pinched her toes in the slightest bit when she tucked her legs beneath her and she knew she needed new ones, but they couldn't afford them.

But if she could get new ones, she'd get the ones she saw in the store the other day when she was looking for carrots, all pink and dainty with even lighter pink ribbons to tie on the toe. Useless ties, but they made them look so pretty...

From the other side of the room, Eustace's voice rose, "Rain is interesting- from a scientific standpoint."

Lucy, trying to be kind, nodded her cousin's way and then turned to her brother.