"I'll Miss You"

Notes:

• I forgot to mention that I looked up when the men received their letters for being drafted into World War II but I could not find a consistent time. So if this is historically inaccurate, that is why. I saw many differing dates and could not figure out which date it was out of the many.

Prompt: Crunchy

Word count: 2761

"...and so, I got to come home early, because he..." Stopping mid-sentence, Christopher Pevensie clenched his jaw and looked around the kitchen.

The room smelled like it always did, with leftover scents from breakfast and lunch still floating around, and whatever treat Helen had baked recently almost overpowering all other smells.

Outside the small window by the counter, the beautiful scenery of the backyard was presented, falling in full bloom.

Almost a sign of a picture-perfect day.

But, Helen still hadn't responded to anything he had said the minute he had stepped inside besides an occasional "mhm" or a nod.

Something was up.

Whether it was the tired ache of worry drowning in her deep brown eyes, the way she rigidly moved, or the fact that she wouldn't speak, he knew something was wrong.

Something was bothering her— and something big because she wouldn't tell him. If it had been a small matter, she would have hounded him the minute he came in. But instead, her silence spoke for her.

She'd been mixing the batter for muffins rigorously for more than she needed to, and then she had crammed the muffin tins full of batter, her hands working so fast to fill each cup that they were a blur.

Knocking his foot against the hardwood floor, hearing it echo in the quiet kitchen, Christopher laid a hand on his wife's tense shoulder, "What's wrong? You've been quiet all day. You haven't spoken a word."

Helen shook her head, tightening her apron around her waist with a much harder motion than needed and her forehead creased, "Nothing is wrong."

"I know that's not true." His hand dropped to his side, "I know you, Helen. We've been married for a long time now."

"I know." She choked out, slamming down the spatula.

A loud bang sounded as Lucy pushed open the kitchen door and ran over to him, pulling on the rim of his sweater, "Dad! Are you coming?" She sighed dramatically and pouted her lips, her blue eyes widening, "Please...?"

He paused and looked between Lucy and Helen, he had promised the kids he'd go outside with them when he got home, but Helen seemed so distraught, he needed to know what was bothering her.

Helen picked up another pan from off the counter and then nodded his way, "Go on."

Then she turned away from him and opened the oven to put in the pan of muffins she was baking, her movements choppy.

She seemed so upset. What could have happened while he was at work? Had he done something wrong?— but like he had thought before, wouldn't she have already said something to him if that were the case?

Tugging harder on his sweater, seven-year-old Lucy's eyes narrowed, "You promised! Besides, Ed's getting grumpy without you playing with us and he's making Peter snappy because of it!"

Poor Peter. Sometimes Edmund could be a handful.

"I'll be back in soon," Giving Helen one more worried glance and a kiss on her cheek, he took his daughter's hand and moved to the door.